Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firewall

• Please log in to reply

sarah413

sarah413

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am not sure if this will go here but I have xp home and pro both with sp2; hooked to a linksys wireless router but they are both hard wired. codes to use the wireless are set and noone has the code( I have no prob w/that)
I at this point use avast for antivirus but ms for a firewall.
Is it good enough or would you recomend something else? what is out there that is real good for free?
I hear about lots but I dont know for sure.
thanks in advance

Advertisements

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
The best website I can recommend for free firewalls is www.softpedia.com

This site has plenty to choose from. It has information on them, ratings from users and screenshots.

The website also has shareware firewalls you can try before purchasing one.

Hope this helps.

shazmar

shazmar

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Comodo Firewall Pro is very good and free, http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
For the vast majority of people microsoft firewall is good enough. The most popular free firewalls are Zone Alarm and Sygate. I used both for a period of time, had some problems now and then and eventually took them off. One of the important reasons that I took them off was that they use considerable amount of resources and slow down bootup and performance in general. Fore example, Zone Alarm, the free firewall, is over 30 MB and occupies a lot of memory.

sarah413

sarah413

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you to all that have replied. I have just closed out a lot of programs that are useing too much memory and that make my computer slow at bool up.(hate that)
I have noticed in my msconfig I do not show a firewall but I checked and ms is on and fighting. It might be good for a while.
Any others with opinions please post, I am happy to look into many of these before I make a decision.
Again thanks.

Edited by sarah413, 18 April 2007 - 08:51 PM.