Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet card not working

• Please log in to reply

Liam Devo

Liam Devo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Folks, I'm desperate for help installing an ethernet card in Windows XP. I have attemtted to do this with 3 different cards to no avail. The slot I'm using is OK as I have just removed my dial-up card to attempt the ethernet card installation. The PC fails to pick up new hardware on boot-up and thus I can't install the drivers. On boot-up, I can plainly see the Ethernet details listed as being in slot 3 IRQ10 so it is recognised at this point. However the option to install the drivers does not appear. I have checked the hardware listing and it is listed I assume as Ethernet Controller but within the properties it is not configured correctly (code1). Any help appreciated before I lose the plot! Thanks.

Advertisements

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Did you check for the card under Device Manager??? It is possible that it did pick it up but didn't tell you. If there is a yellow question mark then it has been picked up.

Liam Devo

Liam Devo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Dave, I'll investagate further when I get home and post any error message tomorrow.

Liam

Liam Devo

Liam Devo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry Dave, haven't been well lately so apologies for the delay. There is indeed a yellow ?. iIn properties the message is that "The device is not working properly" and under Driver details "No driver files are required or have been loaded". However if I click on Re-install Driver or Update Driver or Launch Troubleshooter - nothing happens. Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks.