Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Word Wont Open Existing Documents

• Please log in to reply

wildcat114

wildcat114

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
i just installed office 2003 and for some reason all of my documents cannot be accessed by MSWord. i can run the program just fine, and save documents, but when i try to reopen them, they wont do it. And after the error message about xxx.doc cannot be accessed comes up, it tells me that Normal.doc has been changed, and asks me if i want to replace it? i always say no, then it closes out. Has anyone heard about this, or knows how to solve it? im just really confused. any help would be great. thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open any office programme then help then detect and repair, you need a tick in restore shortcuts and the office CD

If no change, close all office programmes, click start then search then type normal.dot, you may need to include hidden files, rename any to normal.dot.old then Word will replace it

wildcat114

wildcat114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
still no change...i did the repair function on help and it went through the process and said that setup had been completed succesfully, but i still couldnt open the documents. so then i tried the search for normal.dot and changed the name but still no change. any suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft say either: you have a virus, you have norton office plug in, NAV options misc, or the product is not activated

Panda Scan