Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

question i get confused with

• Please log in to reply

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I get confused when I see the following 3 statements on which one is used for what"

1. Start windows in safe mode.

2. Start windows using last known good configuration.

3. Start windows using recovery console and restore using the most recent full backup.

Can someone please help me as to what you would use first and for what situations, please. I would really appreciate it.

thanks

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If you just had a problem getting into Windows (not a problem where it shut down incorrectly), then the first one you'd want to use is:

2. Start windows using last known good configuration.

Once you successfully log in (even if it doesn't boot all the way), you lose the usefulness of this option because if there was a change which screwed up logging in, after you "successfully" login, the computer will record the current settings, even if they are the screwed up ones.

You'd use this one only when you're having problems booting normally and need to make changes to fix it.

1. Start windows in safe mode.

I have never seen this one, referencing a full backup:

3. Start windows using recovery console and restore using the most recent full backup.

Is this on a server environment?

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
No server environment.

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
So is it safe to say the following

Safe mode- is for troubleshooting with minimal drivers and services, use this option.

LKGC- if your system has trouble booting as a result of something you changed such as hardware driver or service option, use this option.

Recovery console- has utilities that enable you to access your partitions and perform operations on a corrupted OS, use this option.

What do you guys think?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yup. I couldn't have said it any better myself. :whistling: