Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer is Blowing Up in Slow Motion

• Please log in to reply

eireland

eireland

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have very little useful computer knowledge, but let me try to describe my problem as best I can. I have had Norton on my computer since I've gotten it and over the last year and a half, their GoBack program kept restarting my computer every few weeks and changing things. I thought it was a bad program, but maybe it was doing the right thing. Anyway I got tired of it and wanted to get rid of norton and put Kaspersky and Zone alarm on my computer. I uninstalled norton and added kaspersky and zone alarm. Upon restarting, I got this stop error code Bad_Pool_Caller 0x0000007b. Ok so I went into safe mode and removed kaspersky and zone alarm. This seemed to solve the problem as I was able to boot into xp successfully after that. However, I had no antivirus at all. Figuring that norton still had some junk on my computer I used the norton removal tool and then reinstalled kaspersky and zone alarm. This is where things went really bad. Now I can only boot into safemode. When I try to boot normally it gets all the way to loading tray icons then I always get this stop error: 0x0000008E (OxC0000005, 0x80576F26, 0xEBC6996c, 0x00000000 There is no other useful info with the message (for me anyway) The third string of characters in parenthesis always changes.
What I've tried:
restarting with last known good configuration
restarting with system restore on various date
reinstalling norton or any other antivirus software (I can't figure out how to install things in safe mode)
searching the web for this error code, I installed new memory about 2 months ago, but had no problems with it (I tried taking it out and rebooting) I thought maybe removing norton with the removal tool messed up one of my drivers. So I tried to reinstall my video driver, but I can't figure that out either.
I also done various other things that articles have suggested but nothing seems to help.
At this point I've exhausted my limited knowledge of what to do. If nothing else I would like to be able to get my files off of my computer before I toss it out the window (just kidding)

Any help anyone could offer would be great. Thank you,

Liam

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Here's what I found on the matter:

Hardware incompatibility. First, make sure that any new hardware installed is listed in the Microsoft Windows Marketplace Tested Products List.

Faulty device driver or system service. In addition, a faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.

If a driver is listed by name within the bug check message, disable or remove that driver. Disable or remove any drivers or services that were recently added. If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition is formatted with NTFS file system, you might be able to use Safe Mode to rename or delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in Safe Mode, you need to start the computer by using the Recovery Console to access the file.

If the problem is associated with Win32k.sys, the source of the error might be a third-party remote control program. If such software is installed, the service can be removed by starting the system using the Recovery Console and deleting the offending system service file.

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing bug check 0x1E. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve the error. You should also run hardware diagnostics, especially the memory scanner, supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.

The error that generates this message can occur after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is finished. A possible cause of the error is lack of disk space for installation and system BIOS incompatibilities. For problems during Windows installation that are associated with lack of disk space, reduce the number of files on the target hard disk. Check for and delete any unneeded temporary files, Internet cache files, application backup files, and .chk files containing saved file fragments from disk scans. You can also use another hard disk with more free space for the installation. BIOS problems can be resolved by upgrading the system BIOS version.

If nothing in that quote matches anything you've done or have on your PC, I'd try a Windows Repair

Edited by computerwiz12890, 18 April 2007 - 09:09 AM.

officialblueboys

officialblueboys

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Ok there are only two solutions for ur problem

1) Repair ur XP
www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

or

Just reinstall it

eireland

eireland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your help and quick responses! I am going to have a pro take a quick look at my machine before I reinstall windows (I only have xp sp1, so I would lose my files on reinstall from what I gather)

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes, you'll lose everything if you do a reinstall. However, you'll only lose your windows updates if you do a Windows XP Repair

In either case, it is always a good idea to backup everything before proceeding. :whistling: