Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two cautioned over wireless Internet "piggy-backing"

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Well, dont I feel stupid. I have to eat my words and bow down to the FACT that I am wrong. Here is the exact text straight from the cox website reguarding home networks

"Security. You are solely responsible for the security of any device connected to the Service, including any data stored on that device. Cox recommends that you take appropriate security precautions for any systems connected to the Service. You are responsible for securing any wireless (WiFi) networks connected to your Cox service. Any wireless network installed by the customer or a Cox representative, that is unsecured or "open" and connected to the Cox network, will be deemed to be operating as an ISP and subject to the prohibition on Commercial Use set forth in Section 5 herein. You authorize Cox to use measures to detect unsecured wireless networks associated with your Service."

From the looks of it, Cox says that you have to secure your own router or they can come along and tag you as a commercial connection and pay for bandwith like that.

So it looks like according to Cox (and most other ISP I am sure) haveing an open wireless connection is against the rules and can possiable get you charged!

That still doen't change the fact that I belive there is nothing wrong with shareing the wealth that you have with other less fourtinate folks. If you got it and others dont, it does not take hardly anything for you to help a broke neighbor out!...lol

Thats my 2 cents no one ask for!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

That still doen't change the fact that I belive there is nothing wrong with shareing the wealth that you have with other less fourtinate folks. If you got it and others dont, it does not take hardly anything for you to help a broke neighbor out!...lol

...there's the conundrum...the difference lies between what the customer deems acceptable and what the provider deems acceptable...alot of people share your views...that once they pay for somethiing...they can do with it what they wish...and...for other products...and some other services..this policy holds true...once it's in your hands...you can do what you please...but times...they are a changin! in the modern age it's alot harder to find something that you actually own once you pay for it....

the easiest way to view your internet connection in this way...is to compare it to leasing a car....you don't own your internet connection...even if you own your modem and or router....you don't OWN your internet connection..you're leasing it from the ISP...which means they have the rights to it...and can dictate what you can and cannot do on that connection....the same as leasing a car...when you lease a car...you can't go out and upgrade the stereo...or re-upholster the interior...