Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help removing Windows XP - Home edition

• Please log in to reply

javannis

javannis

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I was trying to repair my Windows XP home edition and somehow instead, I installed another directory of Windows. How can I safely delete the one I just installed without damaging the original one?

:whistling:

I now have \WINDOWS AND \WINDOW

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi javannis...

Which directory do you boot to...that is, which one do you want to keep?

Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the Startup and Recovery window, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window (boot.ini) will open...copy the contents of that window and paste the information here for me.

wannabe1

javannis

javannis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for responding wannabe1, I cannot connect from home so I will have to copy to a cd and bring it to work........

but here is the problem.....

I want to keep my original, which I tried repairing per instructions on this forum, so I don't loose any of my stuff....but now when I boot up all I get is a blank screen.....

I boot up to the second install of windows and I can see the original WINDOWS directory there... So what went wrong??? :whistling: I really don't want to format, I have so many pictures there I'd hate to loose.

Edited by javannis, 19 April 2007 - 09:28 AM.