Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zone Alarm - reinstate my FTP

• Please log in to reply

briz_dad

briz_dad

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
I have been using Zone Alarm for about a year or so and the latest version (7) is a mess IMHO - the junk email additions totally messed with my Outlook and I could not find a way to get rid of the junk email aspect of the program.

So, I uninstalled.

When I uninstall it, I lose FTP access - the port is blocked. If I reinstall it, then I have FTP access.

I attempted to add my FTP programs to Windows Firewall and still did not have access.

I currently have access because I turned off the Windows Firewall.

Can someone help me get back up and running with a firewall going as well?

(I want to staty away from Zone Alarm since it started jacking with my email connections/ports this morning).

TIA,
Greg

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to microsoft firewall and in the advanced tab go to default settings and restore default. Try to add your FTP program in the exception list. If it doesnt work try to do this by adding a port.

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
I am still not able to FTP

I added both FTP programs I am using to the exceptions list

What port should I check for to open and how do I do it?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You have to find which port the programs needs to be opened. I believe you can find it in the Help or Setup of the programs.

You create exception for a port just like you make for a program. In microsoft firewall, in Exeptions, click Add Port. Under Name write the program name. Under Port write the port number. Click OK and again OK.