Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hiding or password protecting files

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I know how to hide folders and files the converntional way by going into the options or whatever but everyone knows that. I was wondering if anybody knew a way to put a password on a folder or hide it in a nother way. My family keeps going into my files and deleting my documents. I dont want an encryption program that makes me have a vault where i put everything because thats just a hassle and is time consuming. I want a program or something that allows me to hide or password protect a normal everyday folder that I already have. I remember you could password protect folders on 98' but i just wish You could with XP lol. If anyone has any ideas that could gimme a hand that would be great!

Thanks in advance guys.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
go to the folder, right click on it, then choose Sharing and Security...

go to the Sharing tab and check the box Make this folder private.

Doing this will make it so they can't access the folder unless they are logged in under your username. Unless they know your password, the files should be safe from deletion now. :whistling:

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thats one thing but they have their own computer and they just love to get rid of my docs. I tend to leave my comp on so thats how they get it. Any other ideas?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Start>Control Panel>Switch to Classic View (if not already)>Power Options

Under the Power schemes tab, set system standby to whatever time you want. Then, go to the Advanced tab and check Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby.

Edited by stettybet0, 18 April 2007 - 02:21 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I used to do that but when the computer is started back up it is slower because of the standby. Someone else in the house uses standby only and the computer is slow even though it is clean of viruses etc... So im looking for a program that would allow me to add a password to be put onto a folder.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
AxCrypt works quite well.