Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shared Documents folder gone wacko...

• Please log in to reply

nottakloo

nottakloo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Folks,

I discovered recently that my "Shared Documents" folder has somehow been renamed "Documents", and has become inaccessible. I have tried following a past "Shared Documents" shortcut but it displays the same error message as when I attempt to open the folder the usul way. The message displayed in the window reads:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents is not accessible.

Access is denied.

I have tried to rename the folder to no avail. Also tried to drag & drop the folder into a new "Shared Documents" folder that I created, but that was not allowed either.

I am as positive as I can be that I did not change the name of the original "Shared Documents" folder to "Documents", as I have no reason to do so.

Has anyone else run across this situation? Can anyone advise me how to resolve the problem?

I considered going back to a restore point, but I've been told if I do that I will lose any programs and work that I've done since that point. I thought about backing up my whole computer but I don't have enough hard drive space to do that, so....

I'm really at a loss regarding to how to correct this. Unfortunately, my "Geek Quotient" is embarassingly low and I've exhausted the little knowledge I possess. I am a quick learner & a reasonably apt pupil, but I've not run into this problem before.

I will appreciate any and all help anyone can provide... thanx in advance!

Edited by nottakloo, 18 April 2007 - 02:38 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hi nottakloo and welcome to GTG

Give this link a tryMSKB article 897103

nottakloo

nottakloo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Many thanx, tuxmaster... that got me access to "Documents" folder. Still can't rename it back to "Shared Documents" but that's okay. I do have access to the important stuff in there... thanx again... :whistling: