Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP NEEDED FOR PHOTO EDITING RIG

• Please log in to reply

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi there i am from new zealand and i want to build a Rig for editing photo's, i will be using Adobe Photoshop CS2 mostly for the Editing. But i am unsure on which parts i should spend most of my budget on! Not to sure weather to get a really good gfx card or just have a balanced rig! But i do know i will have to get at least 1Gig RAM and a Intel Duo CPU!

Any ideas of a build is much appreciated!!My budget is about $1500 NZD thats about $700 American Dollars but i am willing to spend more!!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I don't have enough time to post a full rig but this is what I suggest.
A low end graphics card will do you fine, intergraded may be pushing it a bit. I'd go with the 7600GS.
Core2duo is out of the question for you budget, you'll have to get a AMD processor, no less then 4400+.
After the graphics card and processor, try and push 2GB of ram out of your budget, as photoshop is very memory, harddrive and CPU intensive.
Get a 320GB hard drive, as it's the best bang for the buck at the current time. Be sure it's SATA II.
Buy a cheap motherboard, that has the features you need, unless your planning on overclocking then your going to have to invest more into the motherboard.
By the way, it's pointless to say you have a budget of 700$ but are willing to spend more. Please tell us how much your willing to spend, since everything is relativity cheap (namely processors because of the recent price wars) every little bit of cash will make a difference.
If you want me to clarify a little more just let me know and once I have a little more time on my hands I will do so.
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 April 2007 - 03:44 PM.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for that!!Well if you could clarify that would be great!!As for more money yea i will bump my budget up to $1000 USAD!!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you are really set on Core2duo's, wait till april 22 because they are having price cuts then. Now that you have bumped your budget up, Core2duo will forsure be in the cards and recommeneded.
Not going to be too specific at the moment because everything will change, but here is what I recommened.

I suggest you begin looking about at cases(it's a personal choice I believe), don't buy one with a PSU cause you pay a bit more and they are crap.
I'd suggest a E6600 Core2duo. Get the OEM version, then a aftermarket cooler, as the 100$ they charge for the aftercooler is crap, you can get a much better aftermarket cooler for 50$.
2GB of ram at 667MHz
7600GS from Nvidia
Vista or XP, your choice, look for OEM versions as they can be as much as 50% cheaper.
550w PSU
320 GB hard drive
Not really a specific motherboard in mind, are you planning on overclocking?

I'll be much more specific once the time comes around for the price cuts, when are you planning on building the comptuer? Do you want to jump and build before the price cuts? Because the E6600 is supposed fall about 100$ in price. Again thats on the 22nd of april.
James

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for that i definately wait till the prices drop!!Probably wont be overclocking so ill just look for a cheap asus mobo!!Thanks again mate!!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yeah no problem.
James