Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Video Card

• Please log in to reply

pers

pers

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thank you GeeksToGo!!! I built my system!!!

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
Intel Core 2 Duo e6600 o/c @ 3.4 GHz
OCZ PC6400 Ram @ 800MHz w/ heat spreaderse and 4-4-4-15 latency
Seagate Baracuda 320GB Hard Drive w/ 16mb buffer @ 7,200 RPMs
GeForce 7600 GT xXx Edition (Temperary video card, looking to upgrade:)

As i've noticed, GeForce 8600 has come out, which i've been waiting for... I'm planning on putting my 7600 back into my athlon x2, and upgrade the Core 2 Duo... I found that GF 8600 ranges from $200 to $300 CND at TigerDirect.ca, so do the other high end DirectX 9 video cards, the 7900 gs, 1950pro, 7950gt... etc.. i was just woundering, should i buy the gf 8600, or buy a directx 9 card?? Does the 8600 Outperform the 7900 gs, 1950pro, 7950gt etc. ?? If it does, which model is the best? is it worth spending $100 more for the BFG GeForce 8600 GTS OC Here , or is it better to stick with the $200 8600GT ?? All in all, could you please inform me as much as you can, and guide me in the wrong direction? DirectX 9, or DirectX 10 ?? :blink:

Thank you for all your help in advance,

Cheers :whistling:

Pers

Edited by pers, 18 April 2007 - 08:38 PM.

Advertisements

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Anybody ?? please?? answer !? :whistling:

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
pers,

I have noticed a few things about your forum behavour, although your questions and problems are excellent and we welcome them here at geeks to go, i am sure we would all appreciate if you didn't "bump" your topics with comments like "Anybody ?? please?? answer !?" there is a process in place for unanswered threads, personnally i am not sure what it is, because i have never needed to use it!

this small note also take into account the hijacking of other peoples threads (New Rig by soorena) although they are very simiular problem, i feel that soorena had a slightly different slant on their question.

just a polite reminder that everyone here at geeks to go is here voluntarily!

Thanks

Glen

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
okay, i'm sorry :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes, bumping never helps, many people won't even respond if you do because it's viewed as being impolite. It's ok that you did it, but just for next time......
But back to your question, since you already have a card the best thing to do is wait. Till we see DX10 cards and we see the cards perform in all their glory its hard to suggest them, I don't expect any DX10 games till the fall since there isn't any rush because few people play games in the summer so why not perfrect you product over the summer and release it a little later.
Anyways, like I said, I highly recommend you wait, maybe not till we see the first DX10 game though I recommend it, I'd wait till ATI releases their cards in may....beginning of June at th latest. We'll find out the release date for sure on the 23 of april. I personally believe ATI's budget line will wipe Nvidia in the butt, but really I have nothing to back myself up but rumours and leaked information. Till they are released we'll never know for sure if this is true, but I have a hutch that it is.
James

Edit: That thread is only to be posted in, if you have waited longer then 3 days for a post :whistling:

Edited by james_8970, 19 April 2007 - 09:57 PM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
hey, thank you James,

If it's not a really hard for you then could you please send me a link or something,... the article or w/e that is going to be released with some info about the cards, maybe some baselines, specs and w/e ... just some info on the budget cards... BTW, are GF 8800 going to drop in price or not? so yeah, if you get some info, please drop me off a link, or leave me some advice :blink:

From what i understand now: is this right?? Do i wait unitl ATi is released and then buy the card as soon as i know if it's better than the 8600?? right?

And another thing, i have always trusted Nvidia for my video cards, but i dont' get one thing.. How does ATi Radeon 1950XTX beat the GeForce 7950.. if the ATi only has 16 (or 12 i dont' remember) pixel pipelines, and the nvidia has 26?? It has always puzzled me. Does it make a large difference? Why does ATi whipe it off the ground, with less pixel pipelines?

Thank you in advance

cheers :whistling:

pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It's not how many piplines but how you use them.
The situation with graphics cards are very similar to what we see with CPU's, most of us know a 2.8GHz Pentium D is much worse then a 2.8GHz Core2duo. We can't compare them clock for clock because one is on a new more advanced microarchitecture then the other.
The situation is similar with ATI and Nvidia, ATI has a more complexe card with things like DDR4 (very expensive thats why Nvidia doesn't choose this route, they have better margins most likely), then there is other things that many people tend to over look, the vertex shaders, geometry shaders and the pixel shaders. Not only are the more advanced then the thier couter part, but they also have must more. So you can look at it this way, Nvidia may have 26 pixel pipelines, but they are only at 3/4 copasity while ATI's are running near their peak.

I can't tell you for sure that the 8800 series will drop in price, but if ATI does indeed release a card that performs around the same or a bit better then the 8800GTX and gives them away USD130$ less, then Nvidia will have to follow suit and drop their prices as well if they feel like continueing to sell cards. But whether AMD does infact take a route this agressive it's anyones guess, we'll have to wait and see once they finally release them or else give out the prices on the 23rd.

I highly recommend you wait, but it's all up to you, if they're high end card is much cheaper then Nvidia's highest end card, I can only imagine that their budget line will be cheaper as well. You have to take into account that Nvidia has a "monopoly" over DX10 right now :whistling: That's if you want to call it a monopoly.

At this point in time I don't have a link on the AMD statment, but if you google the R600 and then look up the wikipedia article it'll give you an idea, but it's pretty outdated last I looked (a week ago) hopefully it's more up to date now. Once I find a moment I'll post a link, probably late tonight, as I have a project that i'm about to leave to go and do with some friends.

James

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Uhhhh... no comment. :whistling: :blink:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Uhhhh... no comment. :whistling: :blink:

:help:

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
so it's the 24th today, is this is the day when we find out about the ATi R600?? do you have any info? if so, drop off a link or something, or if it's just something short you can just write it on the forum

thanks in advance :blink:

cheers :whistling:

pers

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Well unfortunately I have bad news. There is a 3 week silence after the meeting, it ends tomorrow. There has been a bit of leaked information, but so far only on barcelona's side......Sorry. Seeing that there is a 3 week silence period, I personally will expect the card to be released 4 weeks from now. I say this because a company usually releases information regarding the card 1 week prior to the release date. Either way this is really weird what they are doing, I think they are just trying to build up hype and pressure people to wait. Just my 2 cents.
James

Edit: Woot Woot, just found some leaked information on the HD 2900XT. Note the fact that it's against the 8800GTS 640mb not the 8800GTX. There is a a reason for this, as the XT isn't the best card of the series, the XTX is.

Edited by james_8970, 24 April 2007 - 02:23 PM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
sweet, are there actually barcelona benchmarks?? :whistling: Does it beat the Core 2 Duo ?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Without a doubt it will, but it's only a matter of time till we find out, just want to clarify something Barcelona is the code name the sever of AMD next generation CPU......now I can't remember the name of the desktop CPU.....I have been saying Barcelona for the last little bit but thats inncorect.
Also, we should be interested if it'll beat Core2duo (Conroe) but wether or not it'll beat Pyrn, Intel's next generation CPU, both due in Q4-H1 2008. So in other words it's still a while away.
James

Edit: Rumours are curculatino that ATI will launch the cards on may 14, but only the XT and XTX, the high end models, and later release the mid and budget range cards. Else where is saying that everything will be launched on the 14......then fudzilla is saying the XTX model is being delayed because of DDR4 issues.......so who knows when they'll come out, I'd expect them before the end of may, middle of June at the VERY latest.

Edited by james_8970, 25 April 2007 - 04:07 PM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
k, what are the pricings going to be like? i mean, for each level (2600, 2900 xt xtx etc....i'm not familiar) Is a descent card (faster than the current ati's (1950 xtx) and nvidia's 8600 gts, 7950gt, 8800gts (probably not Gtx), $300 CDN and below... ??

So, to review, which card will beat most of today's market and cost less than $300 CDN ?

thanks

pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
We really won't know what'll beat what till benchmarks are released or the cards themselves.

American prices
R600 $499.00
R630 XT $199.00
R630 Pro $179.00
R610 $99.00

James

Edited by james_8970, 25 April 2007 - 10:21 PM.