Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Purchasing a new heatsink

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I have an Intel D875PBZ motherboard and have an Intel Pentium IV 3.00GHz with HT processor. Currently I'm using the Intel supplied heatsink but I want a new one because with this one the processor seems to be running at over 50C almost all the time. Any suggestions? This is the first time I'll be upgrading the heatsink and would like to get a really good one. Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Cooling is very debated subject here on G2G,

i have a v simular CPU and i upgraded my heatsink, i got a 10c drop in temperature.

i bought Akasa AK-960E Heatpipe Cooler (but the copper version). it has worked wonders, but i have also added another 2 fans to my case help!

Can you tell us how you are already colling your pc, what fans, sizes and what direction they are blowing!

glen

Edited by glen_m_32, 19 April 2007 - 04:07 AM.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I have two fans blowing into the computer from the front. One blowing into the computer from the left side. Two blowing air out from the rear of the computer. The graphics card has its own fan. There is the processor fan and the PSU fan. The thing is I live in Sri Lanka and it's extremely dusty here. I just removed the heatsink and it was absolutely covered in dust and dirt. After I clean it up and attach it the processor will run a lot cooler but it would only be this way for about 2 - 3 weeks and after that again the temperature would increase up. I cannot clean it up that often so thought maybe a better heatsink might help. All the external case fans are 80x80x25.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
for a first attempt it is worth cleaning tha heatsink, you can buy a can of compressed air and remove the dust that way?

it coyuld still be worht upgrading the heatsink. i know the p4 is a hot processor anyway!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Like Glen_m_32 just said the P4's are known to be hot. It may seem thats on the warm side, but really those processors are built to be able to withstand heat because of the gigahertz wars at the time. Don't worry about the temperatures, your safe.

Like Glen has already said try compressed air to give it a good clean. I also recommend putting filters over the case fans, many people use swiffer pads if you have them over there, fabric softner, the white pads you put into the dryer, also work great. Or else you could just buy a fan filter over the internet. I highly recommend you do something like this, your case will take MUCH longer to get dirty.

James

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Like Glen_m_32 just said the P4's are known to be hot. It may seem thats on the warm side, but really those processors are built to be able to withstand heat because of the gigahertz wars at the time. Don't worry about the temperatures, your safe.

Like Glen has already said try compressed air to give it a good clean. I also recommend putting filters over the case fans, many people use swiffer pads if you have them over there, fabric softner, the white pads you put into the dryer, also work great. Or else you could just buy a fan filter over the internet. I highly recommend you do something like this, your case will take MUCH longer to get dirty.

James

you dont have to put a filter on exhaust fans :whistling:, also on intake fans do you put the homemade filters in the back of the fan or front? in front i have issues with the fan sitting and dragging on it but still same amount of air, on backside is fine but hardly any air through

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It wouldn't hurt to put a filter on the out take, expecially if the computer isn't on 24/7.
I'll have to get back to you about the filter, I can understand what you saying once I have 15 minutes going to take a look, I have a guide laying around somewhere in my room, however I myself have never implemented fan filters since dust isn't a huge issue where I live.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I would help you guys but I gave up on fans a long time ago. They call me the water cooling guy in school for some reason.

......I myself have never implemented fan filters since dust isn't a huge issue where I live.

Really? I get lots of dust here in Toronto. It could be cause I have like no fans blowing the dust out.

Edited by SOORENA, 20 April 2007 - 06:39 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The fans seem to attract dust......
Water cooling is the best alternative, but it comes with a hefty price which is outside of many people's budget not to mention complicated. Unless you spend 300$ on the water cooling system you get crap, also you need to mod your case as most people won't have the holes needed for the piping, no the space. So not only do they have to spend more money on a cooling system but most will have to buy a new case.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I would never pay that much so thats why I made my own cooling, lol, even the water blocks are custom made believe it or not. Temp are way better than normal water cooling kits usually under 20 degrees celcius.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its actually misconception that water cooling kits dont use fans the vast majority of them use fans they just use fewer fans than air systems, and of the kits that dont use fan they are usually not that great in cooling terms no airflow means they need large radiators to achieve decent cooling as well. If its a dusty place filters are a good idea but not essential you just have to clean more often and keep the PC up off the floor.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
They have fans but run and much slower RPM's, thus being much cooler, right?
I can see you building everything but the waterblocks for your GPU and CPU. How on earth did you do that? Is there a guide somewhere? This might be a little(not really) project. I really want to do water cooling, but A) I'm worried that it'll leak since it's still a relitivly new technology and B) It's too pricy. But seriously I really curious about this homemade water cooling kit you made. How did you do it?!
I'm building in a month and plan on spend 100$ in fans (want it quiet as possible without sacrificing airflow....that comes with a price as well). Considering it'll be my first build (believe it or not) I want to overclock the [bleep] out of a quad core since there going to be cheaper come monday, well tomorrow if price cuts come into effect fast enough.....but it usually takes tiger 3 days to adjust.
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 April 2007 - 08:07 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
The waterblocks took a while as I had to get some things from home depot.

Basic:

1) get a heatsink you don't need and cover the aroundings with Acrylic glass and then on top put 1/2 inch fittings.
2) make a 5.25 inch Acrylic glass tray and put two fittings on the back
3) you need a pump
4) you can make a radiator very easily, get some copper pipes and some knees and make wave like patterns with them
5) need some fans for the radiator, right now I have 3 x 80 mm blowing in and 3 blowing out air

And you just connect them with some 1/2 inch tubing, I can explain furthur if you want. I will write a full how-to later when I have time.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
In number 4 what do you mean by knee's?
Can I see a picture of this?! This sounds like a cheap experiment, If nothing leaks of course. Where did you get such a small pump?
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
THIS is the exact pump that I bought and THIS is the exact same CPU heatsink that I bought. I'm stepping out at the moment but I will gladly post the pics on my site and show it to you.

Thanks