Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Purchasing a new heatsink

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

The waterblocks took a while as I had to get some things from home depot.

Basic:

1) get a heatsink you don't need and cover the aroundings with Acrylic glass and then on top put 1/2 inch fittings.
2) make a 5.25 inch Acrylic glass tray and put two fittings on the back
3) you need a pump
4) you can make a radiator very easily, get some copper pipes and some knees and make wave like patterns with them
5) need some fans for the radiator, right now I have 3 x 80 mm blowing in and 3 blowing out air

And you just connect them with some 1/2 inch tubing, I can explain furthur if you want. I will write a full how-to later when I have time.

Soorena

gee, thanks, guess what ive been doing for the past hour... now i need a pump tubing and clue to how to stick the acrylic to the aluuminum heatsink... i have superglue, but dont know if i trust it. maybe melt it to the heatsink?

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Oh no, i used this glue, well GLUES if you call it. They were seperated from each other and when you squeezed it they mixed and you could glue anyting together and even if you blow it up it still won't give (seriously). I'm not sure what you call that type of glue, I threw it out thats why I can't read off the label, it was called twin something. As for the pics I can't seem to find a wire to hook my camera up, I think my cousin took mine, I should get it all together and upload the pics by next Saturday. I'll make a new topic since people are interested.

Thanks,

Soorena

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Sorry James I forgot to tell you what a knee was, HERE is what I mean, it turns out their called ELBOWS, I thought they're called the same thing as we call it at home. Sorry about that.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
My computer is on 24/7. I'm not keen on switching to water cooling just yet cause it's way too expensive. Well, I have an Alienware machine and in case your not aware of it the front fans really are guarded by this metal mesh. So is the left panel fan. All these fans blow air into the computer. As for the rear fans that blow air out of the computer, they are also covered by a metal mesh. I've attached pics showing what exactly it's like. Took the pics with my phone, my apologies if they're not very clear.
So what do you reckon now?

Attached Thumbnails

• front.jpg
  • left.jpg
  • rear.jpg

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i would maybe stick some additional filtering you can use allot of things for it various different materials just use what you can get hold off, if not an actual filter material a light fabric might work and will be able to be placed in the awkward spaces that a rigid moulded filter you can buy wont fit. I wouldnt advise water cooling i really wouldnt advise building it yourself unless you A. have a basic knowledge of plumbing/engineering B. A computer you don't mind toasting, there are allot of little things that an amateur would miss that would lead to leaks and/or poor performance a professional water cooling kit is always the best option either that or use the parts from them people that make custom water systems usually use various parts from water cooling kit makers and use the parts to assemble their own. Building ones from plumbing supplies aren't to be advised.

Although really your best option is just to clean your pc regularly if you live somewhere with allot of dust you should clean the system every two to three weeks.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Oh no, i used this glue, well GLUES if you call it. They were seperated from each other and when you squeezed it they mixed and you could glue anyting together and even if you blow it up it still won't give (seriously). I'm not sure what you call that type of glue, I threw it out thats why I can't read off the label, it was called twin something. As for the pics I can't seem to find a wire to hook my camera up, I think my cousin took mine, I should get it all together and upload the pics by next Saturday. I'll make a new topic since people are interested.

Thanks,

Soorena

i dont suppose you could give me a hint to where i could get these fittings for the heatsink? like on lowes.com or homedepot ?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
It is impossible to find it on a site, at least I couldn't, you should visit home depot and buy those things. They are at the pluming section near the hoses. They're plastic and grey coloured.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

It is impossible to find it on a site, at least I couldn't, you should visit home depot and buy those things. They are at the pluming section near the hoses. They're plastic and grey coloured.

would it be simalier to this?
http://www.lowes.com...1126-KBA40100AV

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Thats for plastic piping so I have doubts of that working, not exactly sure what SOORENA means.

Also I want to echo what warriorscot said, be prepared to toast something, if your not prepared for it, just don't do it. I have a computer in the basement that I'm going to do it on just for a fun project and the fact that it's 10 years old, need an excuses to get ride of it. I will by no means try it on the high end rig I plan on building in June, high end water cooling or else a home made kit, I'm not comfortable about water cooling as like I have already said it has to many risks at this point in time. But I have to admit this is cool.

I still strongly recommend the filters, like warriorscot said even a a piece of plastic, you know those see through shirts that you hate so much you throw them out? That fabric would be great for this. I also like the idea of swiffers, but I'm not sure if they are sold outside noth america.
James

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ok well I removed the heatsink to clean it up and well I noticed that the *thermal pad* that was on it before now more or less didn't exist. I've got thermal paste with me. Should I apply the compound on the processor or the heatsink. I've attached two pics of the heatsink, one shows what it was like before I cleaned up the remains of the thermal pad and the other shows it after it's been cleaned up. Also have attached a pic of the processor which too had markings of the pad here and there. Cleaned that up too.

The filters for the fans, should they be for the fans blowing the air out of the machine or into the machine?

Attached Thumbnails

• SP_A0188.jpg
  • SP_A0189.jpg
  • SP_A0190.jpg

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I wouldn't proceed till SOOREA gets a little more into detail.
Note: If anything gets fried, Geeks to go cannot be held responsible.
James

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Hmm I think maybe your a little confused. I'm not attempting to make a water cooling system or anything. Only took the heatsink out cause the processor was overheating and cleaned it up and then realised the debris remaining from the thermal pad isn't going to help cool the processor and I would need to apply some thermal paste instead. So, that's more or less it. Just need to know should the thermal paste be applied on the heatsink itself or the processor?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
It should be spread on the Proccessor (CPU). As for waiting for me I am really sorry for keeping you guys waiting but my cousin is taking her time with my cord. I can however show you what the fittings looks like:

Thanks,

Soorena

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For a PC water cooling kit the whole thing should be 90% plastic(most modern plumbing is mostly plastic) metal components open up a whole different set of problem the only metal parts should be in the radiator and sinks. All the tubing should be 1/2 inch plastic tubing with plastic connectors the radiator i would advise purchasing a real radiator asetek or swiftech make the best radiators for water cooling PCs they make the best kits allot of the better designers of water cooling systems use asetek components especially the pumps almost every high end custom water cooled system ive seen in the last two years used asetek pumps. And the blocks need to be bough i cant emphasise that enough if you buy everything else out a hardware store buy proper waterblocks otherwise its a pointless exercise it will leak it also wont cool very well an air heatsink will make a very poor. Also make sure you have a way to drain excess gas build up and easily change the fluid, also use filtered water.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Wouldn't these just be easier better alternatives?