Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with sp2 & dr watson post mortem debugger message

• Please log in to reply

KarenAA

KarenAA

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am a new member, so this is my first post but I have a big problem. I was constanted getting froze or knocked out of the internet. The problem got worse after I installed explorer 7. I took some bad advice to take sp2 and the dr watson.exe file off my computer. Now my anti virus, McAffee won't open or function, whenever I try to go on the internet I get this message..."the requseted lookup key was not found in any active activation context"..I am no computer genius I can follow instructions good or bad...I also can't remove the antivirus program. I did let microsoft update my computer and sp2 is reinstalled. Help thanks Karen

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press the power button and keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode, then choose the administrator account

Try to uninstall McAfee

Do you intend to re-install McAfee or replace it?

Have you got the XP CD

KarenAA

KarenAA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I plan on reinstalling McAffee and we have our recovery cd. I went into email because in 2 days I had over 500 emails, everything was doubled and tripled and I had a blank screen and no messages. Thanks for your help..Karen

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you get anywhere with removing it?

KarenAA

KarenAA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No, I have no change. When I try to remove McAfee, all I get is a white box with McAfee Application Installer in the header. I try to get into the email account and I got this message box, ImSupp with an x in a circle and a ok . I shut the computor down, after I wrote my post my Mom (lives with us) fell and is in hospital. I will check back in the morning...I am burnt out...Thanks bunches, Karen

KarenAA

KarenAA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am back, nothing has changed here...I need help Thanks Karen

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you run McAfee set up it says it is already on there?

Hope your Mum is getting better

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click How to uninstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe) it should remove it so you can re-install, make a note of the product key first

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/?siteID=1

KarenAA

KarenAA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
OK we unstalled McAfee, it uninstalled. I still can't access the internet I get the same message. Email now has a beige screen instead of white.
my mom is in a better hospital, we moved her, they put her in ICU but she is a bit better. Thanks, Karen

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you use another PC to download and save this, then run it on your PC

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

Advertisements

KarenAA

KarenAA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
OK, we down loaded the program on Ralph's laptop onto a jump drive and ran it on the bad computer, no change. I can get my provider's site ok but can't get on the net, my email messages are still blank, if I try to answer a email I get shut down/error. We are going to hospital when I get back I will follow any other suggestions you have. One other change the emails I receive are no longer in doubles and triples...a start!

KarenAA

KarenAA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
hi back home again, here's the weird thing, now PC Tools registry mechanic (i bought because of the problems of freezing and getting knocked off) It nows has a blank screen but it's running a scan but I can't see the results. PS Mom's a bit better, talking some... again thanks, Karen

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got an XP CD to run this

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

KarenAA

KarenAA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
we found the recovery disc for this computer, is this what we need?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It could be, recovery discs have varying capabilities, some will repair, some will only return to day one, which isn't any good here

So, carefully follow the XP Repair Guide, if it differs, (at all), abort and post back