Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bootlog.txt Help

• Please log in to reply

jefffferzbooboo6912

jefffferzbooboo6912

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My Windows 95 computer will not boot, I get a Windows Protection error. When I run in Safe Mode and check the Bootlog.txt it has fails on:
c:\windows\system\IOSUBSYS\smartvsd.vxd and also fails EBIOS.

What could be causing these errors and how do I fix them. Oh, and can someone tell me what an extended bios is, I thought a motherboards Bios was on the motherboard.

The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-686BLX.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/265854 this might help with the c:\windows\system\IOSUBSYS\smartvsd.vxd failure

is there anymore information about the failure at EBIOS?

jefffferzbooboo6912

jefffferzbooboo6912

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
in bootog it says "loading vxo= ebios" failure and "loading vxd= ebios" failure

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll research that today...any luck on the other error?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not finding anything helpful on the ebios error...it's basically saying that when windows is loading...that it's not finding the ebios VXD file so it's failing to load...but the only sugggestions i've found to fix it are to reinstall windows..let me see if anyone else has some hints on this one (i hate win95 by the way)

jefffferzbooboo6912

jefffferzbooboo6912

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ya, every time I try to reinstall windows on this hard drive or install it on another hard drive it keeps telling me that the drive is compressed, even if i wipe it and format it, its annoying the heck out of me.

jefffferzbooboo6912

jefffferzbooboo6912

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hear anything else yet from anyone?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe not particularly...we know WHY you're getting the mesage there...but not how to stop it....i assume that if this is the first time this has started...then you used to have EBIOS....but now you don't...however there's the chance that you never had the ebios to begin with

jefffferzbooboo6912

jefffferzbooboo6912

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I got it figured out, partially. Heres the steps

1. Put hard drive in XP computer.
2. Load XP, put in Win 95 disk
3. Copy contents of Win 95 disk to new folder on errored hard drive
4. Removed hard drive and installed in Win 95 machine
5. Start Win 95 machine in safe mode
6. Open folder with Win 95 setup, and run
7. Now Win 95 starts up
8. Had to reload some drivers

Only problem is when I go to setup Network Connection Wizard, it says "internet connection wizard cannot load the Inetcfg.dll file" Its in my C:\windows\system folder, anyones help would be much appreciated. When I run winipcfg i get an IP address of 192.168.101 and i'm able to ping it from another computer with sent 4 and received 4. When I ping from the Win95 machine it doesn't give any report like XP, it just says time, so I don't know if i'm actually reaching it or not, I've ping yahoo.com and my other computer, I have them on a Dynex DX-E401 Router.

jefffferzbooboo6912

jefffferzbooboo6912

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Whenever I try to instal Internet Explorer 5.5 I get an error that says quit all other applications and try again, its the only thing I have running, including looking in my cntrl+alt+delete

Edited by jefffferzbooboo6912, 06 May 2007 - 11:33 PM.