Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No desktop after repair to Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

javannis

javannis

• Pip
  • 5 posts
After completing a repair on my windows XP home, it now boots up, but I have no desktop. I completed a Windows XP re-installation. In doing this, I created a second folder, "window"

QUESTION: Can I get my applications, documents and photos from my original installation (windows folder) to appear in my new Windows XP installation (window folder)? or how do I get my desktop to show up on my original repaired installation?

:whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Programs cannot be transferred from installation to installation, you would have to reinstall them into the re-installation. You can get the documents and photos, email, etc - everything but the programs.

As to why your desktop has stopped working on the original installation, I do not know. Does it work in Safe Mode?

javannis

javannis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
How do i get my picutes? that is what I want the most....

Does not work in safe mode either......

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi javannis...

You're data should be located in the Documents and Settings folder under your old user name. Is it that you are getting access denied messages when you try to recover the files? If that's the case, try Taking Ownership of the files when you recover them.

wannabe1

Erik the Expert

Erik the Expert

• Pip
  • 4 posts
If you made the mistake of making them private you might have to boot off a linux boot cd (knoppix) something of that sort to copy your data to a viewable part of the drive. IE your current desktop. Hopefully this is not the case.