Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI-E Connector not fitting my graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey, this week I bought an Nvidia 7800GT, only to find that my PSU didnt have a PCI-E connector for it. I bought a connector from E-bay that should connect to my graphics card but one of the pins is wrong. I was just wondering if anyone knows if Nvidia and ATI use different connectors for their graphics cards or something. For now I have to operate the card at reduced power.
Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You've been misinformed. If your PC doesn't have PCI-E ports then you can't fit a PCI-E graphics card in it. Full stop. There's no way it can be adapted to fit and work properly. The "reduced power" you refer to is actually reduced speed since there is no way that PCI can shift data as fast as PCI-E, whatever so called adaptor you use. The internal data bus is completely different and no bolt-on adaptor can alter that. See if you can exchange the card for an AGP version, assuming your PC has an AGP slot, or a PCI version if they are still available.

Edited by pip22, 20 April 2007 - 07:20 AM.

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
You misunderstand me. My Motherboard has two PCI-E slots, thats not the issue. This issue is my power supply not have a power connector that will fit into the graphics card. I can use the card but everytime I boot windows I get the message that it has to operate at reduced power. So I bought an adapter that converts two molex into one PCI-E power supply, only thing is the PCI-E connector does not fit into my graphics card.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Is this the power connector you are talking about:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812201004

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yep, thats exactly it. The problem is, and I'll try to describe this as best as possible, that one of the 6 pins is a square shape instead of a sqaure with two notched edges.

The person I bought it from has offered a refund, so I'll be sending it back, I'm just confused as to why it wont fit.
Thanks

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812198011

That is another cable where you can actually see the square one. Its on the bottom cable. I believe that, this is the cable you would need, correct?

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I found this picture, notice the middle pin on the bottom is the 'notched square' shape. Thats what I need, the one I bought has a sqaure shaped pin for the bottom middle.
http://www.highpower...m/icon/pcie.jpg
And by bottom, I mean the side with the clip on top.

Edited by Thomascoote, 20 April 2007 - 11:10 AM.