Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Media Player 11 won't play AVI files

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Whenever I try to play an AVI file (DivX, Xvid, x264) in Windows Media Player 11 (in Vista) it loads the file and "plays" but it stays on the first frame. It is not paused or stopped, it says it is playing, but the time never changes and the video never moves on, it's just stuck on one frame. I can skip onto any point in the file, but it just displays that frame and doesn't play any more, and again it is definitely NOT paused or stopped. Windows Media Player reports no errors. I have all the correct codecs installed and the latest video card drivers. I have tried reinstalling Windows Media Player.
Thanks

Advertisements

smmalis

smmalis

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Even though you said that you took care of them, I would bet that something happened to the codecs. Try uninstalling them and reinstalling them. I had this same problem on XP and that solved it for me.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
OK, so if I want to play DivX, Xvid and x264 (Matroska) files, which codecs/codec packs would you recommend to avoid conflicts?
Thanks

smmalis

smmalis

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
The one I use is the Cole2k Media Codec Pack: http://www.download....tml?tag=lst-0-4
Try uninstalling all codecs and then installing it.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Works a treat, thanks! My new codec pack.