Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is c:\windows\qttask.exe?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

AnAngelLady

AnAngelLady

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all, I hope someone can help. ;) All of a sudden I have a qttask running in my start up, when I went to msconfig, I found c:\windows\qttask.exe. I have never seen it before and do not know what it is and or if it is malware, or spyware. I have checked with windows and microsoft. They come up with a blank when I search for it. I found you when I took the search to the internet. I ran spyware blaster, spyware doctor, a2squared malware and it comes up clean. I have Nortons antivirus. So do I have a spyware that is not recognized yet? :tazz: Or is it a program that was downloaded that I knew nothing about? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Have a good day. Linda

Advertisements

Darkmocha

Darkmocha

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Just incase anyone is wondering this in the future and doesn't already know, qttask quicktime's process, and seems to be entirely harmless.

rman56

rman56

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm having a royal time trying to get rid of the qttask.exe file. I have seen some of your answers, but for the life of me when I go to regedit, I don't know where HKLM is. Anyway, I understand it's not really destructive, but it's become a matter of wills now, and I will prevail. Please, can someone help me get this off my computer.

ACCC

ACCC

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
For future reference
HKLM is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKCR is HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
HKCU is HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKU is HKEY_USERS
HKCC is HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG

:tazz:

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
The legitimate QuickTime file should be located here:

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe

or here for 9X

C:\Windows\System\qttask.exe

May be something Something sneaky...

Edited by bananafanafo, 30 April 2005 - 02:20 AM.