Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What happens if you don't have enough power from the power supply?

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
What happens if you don't have enough power from the power supply? I was thinking about adding some things onto my computer and was wondering what are the effects of not having enough power from the power supply? Do things just slow down or do they just stop working all together?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depends on the unit. Most decent ones will just stop working one day or not power up at all as soon as they realise they need to supply more power than they can.
How big is your current power supply? At least 400w is recommended, you can never have too much. What devices were you planning to add?

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I have a 500 Watt and I was planing on adding just another fan and maybe in the future a better video card or new processer. But for now it is just a fan and I was wondering if I don't have enough power then will my computer slow down at all?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Another fan won't kill it.
Depending on what graphics card you have now and what card you want to replace it with (likewise for the processor) then an upgrade for power may not be needed.
In terms of power, the only real issue you see with them (aside from either they work or they don't) is the issue of fluctuating voltages. Basically there are different "rails" of different voltages and if one of these goes down then you find that an item powered by that rail either doesn't work at all or works intermittently.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Thanks! :whistling: