Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice required : Mobile internet connection

• Please log in to reply

gideononline

gideononline

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi I am looking for some advice, I have recently moved to Lanzarote and have had some trouble setting up a mobile connection.
There is a guy on the island who is renting out Vodafone USB modems yet it will not operate on my Vista OS as he does not have the Vista driver.
Can I download this from somewhere or is there some other method of connection here in the Canaries?
I am returning the UK in a week for a short visit and was wondering if there was something I could pick up while there?
I really need a connection 24/7, the USB dongle seems a bit expensive here any help greatly appreciated.
regards
Gideon

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
That's the main problem with Vista until it becomes more established and hardware manufacturers get round to releasing updated drivers --- anything which requires a driver is likely to be problem for Vista until then. Your best bet is to not use a USB modem. Make sure you have a network card installed which works with Vista (or, if it's a laptop, make sure it has an ethernet network port) then get a modem which has ethernet ports (instead of usb) so you can connect it to the network card with an ethernet cable. Used in this way, the modem doesn't need a driver.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i can't vouch for cost or availability in the canary islands...but you might check out celular based broadband services....the major cell providers offer such services and sell the PCMCIA cards required to connect to their networks...and since this broadband service is making them HUGE amounts of money right now...the companies that make the cards are making sure that their devices are vista compatible...so you should have a pretty good chance of being able to use the card with vista...just an option to check out