Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help, can't start any programs

• Please log in to reply

karen58

karen58

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I cannot get any programs to run on my pc. I booted it up when I got home from work and it kinda made a thunk sound. My background pic is gone, the background is black. The icons are there but when I double click them nothing happens and right click all I get is copy, paste, properties- no open or run. I go in the start menu- everything looks the same but when I click on any program, nothing happens. I can't even get system restore to work- nothing. Except, the programs running down in the task bar- I could get the programs to run from there, but all I know from that is I have no virus or spyware. I am pretty sure it is not anything like that, but what happened I don't know. I can't remember anything installing this morning when I had it on, it was just fine. I have had trouble with Firefox shutting down a few times but I thought that was just instability of the program. I thought video card but I was able to get the nvidea program running, so I am unsure. If anybody has any thoughts, I would really be appreciative. Thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Will system restore run this way

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

karen58

karen58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I was able to get the system restore that way, but after it restored the files and rebooted, it got caught in a loop and kept rebooting. After several reboots, I got a blue screen that said several files needed for the system had been stopped or terminated. I then tried to do a system repair with my Windows cd, but after I told it what system to log on to and signed in, it went to the c: prompt & waited for input, I didn't know what to put in. Now to me it is starting to look as if I have a virus. I have finally been able to get it to safe mode, but everything there looks and runs normal, what I can run. Does anybody have any ideas or am I going to have to just reinstall Windows and lose everything? :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this how you ran the repair, if yes, at which point does it differ

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

karen58

karen58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Keith, you are a life saver again. Right now the pc is installing Windows. Yes, the first thing that I will do is start the firewall. I still don't know what started this all, got any ideas? Thanks again. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See how things are after the repair

Setting a restore point each day for a week would be good

It could have been a few things, it happens unfortunately

Hope it goes well

karen58

karen58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH! While installing some of Microsoft's updates, I got another blue screen of dread, saying the same as before and then it started dumping physical memory with a counter. It rebooted ok but I did not start the updates, I don't know for how long this is going to stay alive and I have some stuff I need to move. Could it be the hard drive? I'm going to try and look for bad sectors. Any suggestions, anybody???????????? :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type chkdsk /r (with the space) then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, then restart the PC

It will take an hour or so to get to the desktop and should not be disturbed

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

karen58

karen58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I ran the chkdsk and it said the volume was clean and then I ran Memtest overnite which ran 4 passes in 7 1/2 hours and showed no errors. Everything looks normal, for now. I guess all of those updates must have installed themselves because they are not there now. If you have any more thoughts on this, please let me know. Right now something is downloading/ running & I can't find out what it is. Thanks again. :whistling:

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Check your MSconfog and Task manager for any odd programs, or something you do not recognise.