Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer won't recognise video card

• Please log in to reply

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I was able to enter safe mode w/ networking. A bubble popped up saying it had found the radeon 9200 etc, then a box saying my hardware had been sucessfully installed but may not work until i restart.

Restarted back into safe mode w/ networking. Inserted CD and an error box titled "MSSetup" came up saying "no hardware device found! please check your hardware card first or browse it's CD directory for the right driver to install". I went into the CD and went to install the driver and got the same error messages as before, no device found. please install standard vga drivers etc. I also tried to install the vga driver and got the same message as before "no vga device found".

Thanks for being so helpful

Advertisements

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
so i'm kind of sick of working in safe mode now. is there anything else i can do at all or should i just do a system restore and deal with it? will buying a new video card help? = /

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
well you said you'd like us to post regardless of how the problem turns out. since i last posted i have also updated my bios which didn't make any difference.
so currently i have absolutely no idea what the problem is or how to go about fixing it. i have no indication of whether it's a problem with my motherboard or my video card or a software issue.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The video card should have been recognised as soon as it was installed

Is it still showing ATI in device manager

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It's showing up as RADEON 9200 SE Family (Microsoft Corporation) under Display Adapter but the screen still clicks out to standby mode in anything other than safe mode.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should be able to boot to safe mode with networking, then try to install the downloaded drivers, no need to use device manager, just click set up

If it won't install, make a note of the error messages, then you would need to ask ATI to see if they can help

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Going into properties in device manager tells me that microsoft has installed drivers from ATI technologies, driver version 6.14.10.6462 to be specific. When I attempt to install new drivers it just tells me there is no better match than the ones i already have.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got ATI software uninstall in control panel - add and remove?

If yes, uninstall and then use the download from ATI

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
There are a few different ATI things in there from all my attempts. The driver said it couldn't find some .dll file but dissappeard from the list after I hit uninstall, but still shows up in device manager. Another one said it couldn't find support files. The last two said I couldn't uninstall them in safe mode. Should I uninstall the driver through the device manager? ie. properties > driver > uninstall?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is an uninstaller - cat uninstaller, if the link doesn't work then go to ati and put cat uninstaller in search

http://support.ati.c...questionID=1447

May take a bit for their link to become clickable

Advertisements

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It won't run properly in safe mode.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you get safe mode with networking

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yes, that's what i'm using.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click start, my computer, double click local disc C

Is there an ATI folder, if yes, keep opening the folders until you can see the uninstall icon, click that, if it won't run, move the unopened ATI folder to my documents and reboot

ATI say the version should be 6.11 not 6.14 so try to install that

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm getting errors

title: HydraVision
message: Error Extracting Support Files: The system cannot find the file specified.

Click OK

Windows Installer, preparing to install.

title: Windows Installer
message: The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance. "

Click OK

title: ATI - Software Uninstall Utility
message: You need to restart your computer now so that the changes can take effect. Do you want to restart now?

No change to driver or program files after restarting.

I'm starting to think there might be a problem with the graphics (VGA?) on my motherboard. When installing my graphics card the errors all led to "No VGA device recognized" and the display messing up is what prompted me to reinstall windows in the first place, when the graphics card was installed fine. What do you think?
I'll try the graphics card in another computer when I find the time.