Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

connecting through programs

• Please log in to reply

keebla

keebla

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
my computer was working fine for maybe 10 months, running online games, updating antivirus programs and such, until one day all my programs, eg: cod:uo, cod:2, fear, quake, google earth, antivirus programs and more were unable to connect to the internet. with these programs i was experiencing messages such as "waiting for response from master server", "error retrieving signal" etc. the peculiar thing is my web browser has been working with no problems even now, i can check emails and browse through any we pages. i have reset my windows firewall and made new exceptions etc but that had no effect. plus msn messenger 7.5 still works correctly, eg. i can still chat, but i cannot go to whiteboard or view webcam. when i tried to update msn messenger it would no longer connect so i did a system restore and it now works as described above.... thanx alot for any help with this problem.

i have also been to the malware log and was instructed to come here.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello keebla and welcome to G2G,

Please answer a few questions first:

What Operating System are you on?

Who is your ISP and what are there advertised upload and download speeds for the package you are subscribing to? (may have to call them and ask)

Are you using a single modem or a router, hub, or switch ?

Are you on a wired or wireless network?

When you went to the Malware log, did they find any malware and remove it, or where you clean?

Thanks

keebla

keebla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello spaceCowboy thanks for your help in advance

my operating system is as follows:

-Intel Celeron
-windows xp sp2
-2.67GHz
-512MB of RAM

My isp is optus.net

I am using a single modem

I am on a wired connection

and i had no malware in my log

Thanks, Keebla

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Go to START and then RUN and type in: msconfig :and click the OK button.
When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears click on the SERVICES tab.
at the bottom of this window is a empty box that says "Hide all microsoft services" next to it.... Place a check in this box
After the window refreshes you will then see a list of services running on your computer. Copy down every item in the list and post it back .... Please indicate which items have a check in the box next to it and which items do not.
Next click on the Startup tab and Copy down every item in the list and post it back .... Please indicate which items have a check in the box next to it and which items do not.

Thanks.

keebla

keebla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok I am in the services tab and this is what is shown, all of the following are ticked.

Ati HotKey Poller

ATI Smart

AVG7 Alert Manager Server

AVG7 Update Service

AVG E-mail Scanner

Google Updater Service

InstallDriver Table Manager

InCD Helper (read only)

ipodService

TrueVector Internet Moniter

All of these except ATI Smart, Google Updater Service, and InstallDriver Table Manager were enabled. These last 3 were set to stopped.

In the startup tab i had all of the following, they were all ticked:

NeroCheck

zlclient

ItunesHelper

DSC

avgcc

jusched

Shareaza

Ares

bittorent

GoogleToolbarNotifier

Super antispyware

grecorder

Adobe Reader Speed Launcher

Thanks alot

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Uncheck the following items from your "MSCONFIG" Services and Startup Tabs, then restart the pc when the prompt asks you to. After it restarts allow it to go into selective startup mode and see if your problems are still there.

SERVICES:
AVG7 Alert Manager Server
AVG7 Update Service
AVG E-mail Scanner
TrueVector Internet Moniter

STARTUP
zlclient
avgcc
bittorent
Super antispyware

keebla

keebla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Omg ty so much space cowboy, my problems are solved. I have been trying to figure out this problem for nearly 1 year now :whistling:....my saviour :blink:!

ty so much i really appreciate your help not just for myself but for everyone on these forums.

ty again,

keebla

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Glad to help... Just dont forget to tell a freind about us if they have pc problems in the future :whistling:

PS.. those services we shut down were your Zone Alarm firewall, AVG Anti virus, Super anti Spyware, and bittorent client. ---- you may want to go back in and turn those services back on, one by one untill you find the actual cause - I do not recommend going with out virus protection or a firewall or you may be visiting the malware forums here in a couple months.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 25 April 2007 - 06:00 AM.

keebla

keebla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
yep i singled it out to the zonealarm firewall core called vsmon.exe. ive removed this and now everything is runing smootheley. thanks again!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
keebla,

I'm glad you got this sorted out. Spacecowboy, thank you so much!

sari