Here are the common symptoms with between both operating systems:
1. Inability to copy/paste
2. Inability to move desktop icons
3. Inability to connect to WindowsUpdate.com
Specific to Windows 2000:
4. svchost.exe process (the one that controls rpcSs) runs at 99%
5. Control Panel icons line up under the left pane in the explorer window
6. Add/Remove Programs window does not appear properly (lines of text appear at the top of the window)
Specific to Windows XP:
7. The taskbar is minimized and cannot be restored until you choose a Toolbar option, such as Quick Launch or Address
8. Running programs do not appear in the Taskbar
I have tried numerous "typical" solutions: Ad-Aware, Spybot, HiJackThis, CWShredder, McAfee VirusScan, avast! virus scans...I've even tried a McAfee CleanBoot scan with the latest defs. NOTHING has worked. There aren't any obvious lines in the HiJackThis scan logs which is why I haven't posted anything.
Has anyone else experienced problems similar to this, and has anyone found a solution short of reformatting the PCs?