Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP/Win 2000 Copy/Paste/Taskbar issues

• Please log in to reply

eu_admin

eu_admin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Any assistance would be most appreciative. I am a systems admin at a college and we've seen numerous problems over the past week with Windows 2000 systems and Windows XP systems. Some systems were fully patched, others were not.

Here are the common symptoms with between both operating systems:

1. Inability to copy/paste
2. Inability to move desktop icons
3. Inability to connect to WindowsUpdate.com

Specific to Windows 2000:

4. svchost.exe process (the one that controls rpcSs) runs at 99%
5. Control Panel icons line up under the left pane in the explorer window
6. Add/Remove Programs window does not appear properly (lines of text appear at the top of the window)

Specific to Windows XP:

7. The taskbar is minimized and cannot be restored until you choose a Toolbar option, such as Quick Launch or Address
8. Running programs do not appear in the Taskbar

I have tried numerous "typical" solutions: Ad-Aware, Spybot, HiJackThis, CWShredder, McAfee VirusScan, avast! virus scans...I've even tried a McAfee CleanBoot scan with the latest defs. NOTHING has worked. There aren't any obvious lines in the HiJackThis scan logs which is why I haven't posted anything.

Has anyone else experienced problems similar to this, and has anyone found a solution short of reformatting the PCs?

Advertisements

phatpaw

phatpaw

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just started experiencing the same problems with my WIN 2000. Cannot copy and past files. Cannot move desktop icons. My IM Messenger cannot connect to my Hotmail account. Windows Update would not connect to the webpage.

bedleman

bedleman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having the same problem on my taskbar. Open windows that are minimized are not showing up in the taskbar. The only way to open them back up is by using the system monitor.

It became a problem last night when I was in Explorer and I noticed the taskbar turn white and that is where the problem began. Tried all the normal fixes. Checked the properties, the set-up, shut down and unpluged, ran virus scan, etc. Nothing.

Need help...

bedleman

bedleman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I found a fix for the problem. Download this program into a folder (execution files under My Documents for me) unzip it, open it and use the top drop down and go to minimized windows missing and run.

This fixed the problem...

Taskbar Repair Tool

Edited by bedleman, 15 April 2005 - 07:26 PM.