Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

swap hard drives

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I would like to load XP on one drive and vista on another and be able to pull out one drive and place the other in and boot to it. This way if I decided to boot to XP one day, I would pull out the vista drive and insert the xp drive. Is there a hardware setup that I could buy to achieve this. Bruce

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
there is no point doing that its dangerous and you could loose all your data and besides it would be annoying removing and plugging in the drive all teh time what you need to do is partition a single hard drive into two parts and install XP on one partion and Vista on teh 2nd partion there are programs such as partion magic to do it for you and it would be alot easier.

troppo

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I dont' know if they still make them but they use to make drive bays just to do that very function. I believe some even had a key to lock the drive in to the bay so it couldnt' be accidently removed or stolen. obviously you would have to shut the computer down before swapping the drives... I haven't seen any of these bays in a long time but that doesn't mean they are not being made still.... they are mainly for business type situations. But as said above it could be done that way... you would have to install xp first and then install vista after xp is working fully.... You would have to partition the hard drive so as to keep the os's seperate... both os's should be able to access each others data that way as well but programs would still have to be installed seperately into each version of the software...

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Yes, you can still get drive bays, and they're pretty cheap, even brand new. If you know a used computer place or even a recycling place you may be able to get them for less. Very easy to use, the ones with fans are noisy but easier on your hard drive. I have an older machine with three of them that I use to work on hard drives and operating systems.