Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! - ERROR: setup cannot copy file: mdwmdmsp.dll

• Please log in to reply

da Housetian

da Housetian

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello gentlefolk here at GeeksToGo!
New member to the forums, have not been able to find much help, maybe you can clear this error up for me. I was installing Windows XPsp2 after wiping the HDD(slow format), and at 24% I got the following:
ERROR: SETUP CANNOT COPY FILE: MDWMDMSP.DLL
I used retry option a few times(didnt work), finally used skip option. At 29% I got the following:
ERROR: SETUP CANNOT COPY FILE: NIKEDRV.SYS
I used retry option a few times(didnt work), finally used skip option. Windows finished the rest of the way. Tried installing first driver (vidcard) and I discovered I could not install anything. I'm sorry I didn't write that error down, but it basically opened the NVidia version: 93.71 forceware driver and could not load something....rookie of me not to write it down but i wasnt panicking yet, but starting. Same with creative driver. Same with mobo drivers. Figured, "okay, no prob, reload it see if it repeats".
Wiped drive and started from scratch.
*note: not a skilled IT professional but have installed numerous times. Average to good tech level. Have used this disk more than once and it is pretty scratch-free
same problem, only this time more files not copying.
At this point I am extremely worried and have never encountered this. Have been trying to search a number of forums for clues and other than hdd failure one of the more common reasons is RAM failure?

Man, I'm down to this 433mhz sloth.....any help would be extremely useful and appreciated. Even if it's just to point me out the correct thread of this same thing. I have posted here because of the professionalism of your help, so I'm crossin my fingers.

da Housetian
*insert witty line here"

*hopes*

Advertisements

da Housetian

da Housetian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
1. Yes
2. As stated, I formatted. I deleted the partition on the HDD and formatted it with the slow format option the CD gives you when you install.
3. No, I did not install SP1 first, I only have disk of SP2. This install disk has worked fine with over 10 installs on 4 different license keys/puters. Disk is clean, Disk drive is a month old. HDD is 1.5yrs old.
4. Have not done f/disk.
5. Cannot, see #3.
6. Cannot, see #3.
7. possibly.....but I seriously do NOT think it is cd or cd drive.
8. Well, the second time I tried installing and got the copy file errors, there were over 40 files missing at the "41% installed" point. At that point I stopped the install, rebuilt the 433mhz slug and contacted you folks.

Hold on...are you staff? I really am going to hold on until site staff helps, though I definately appreciate the suggestions and you taking the time to help. I will review the articles you posted when I get home from work later this eve...

da Housetian

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it were me

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

If there are no errors

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so to format a 200 GB Hard Drive, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

Still use the default, not quick format option during set up

da Housetian

da Housetian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Keith, and thank you for helping me. I will do as you ask and post my findings *prays*

oh yeah, I removed all the drives but the 80gb C: drive as well as sound card and usb2.0 card so there wont be any conflicts from those places; currently the puter only has the one C: drive and only vidcard is plugged into PCI slots.

da Housetian

Edited by da Housetian, 20 April 2007 - 07:18 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I just went through this with a machine. It was a bad RAM module. Memtest missed it completely on the first couple passes, but the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool nailed it right off. If you have more that one stick of RAM in the machine, remove all but one and test one module at a time.

Took me forever to figure this one out... :whistling:

wannabe1