Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

repair windows xp home registry

• Please log in to reply

peppe

peppe

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When booting my laptop I get a blue screen saying stop coooo218(registry file failure)The registry cannot load the hive(file):systemroot\system32\config\software.....it is corrupt absent or not writeable.
I have tried to reboot it in all modes and last useable point. Nothing helped. It is almost like a boot loop. It dumps memory then reboots to safe mode page and starts over again at the blue screen. I have tried to repair using the windows cd selecting the "enter" not the "r"but after the F8 agreement page I didn't get the screen about the repairs. It said something about partitions and I was afraid to continue. What do I need to do to fix the registry thing?

Peppe

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
This error is a Fairly common one.
You can most of the time fix this issue without a repair install.

There are a few ways to fix this both require the recovery console by pressing R to repair.

First is the one that I like to use that I put in my Knowlage base.
Repair Registry from snapshot

Second is from Microsoft's website I do not use this method tippicly because it can cause more problems then the previous method.

Recovery Registry to original configuration.

peppe

peppe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Tuxmaster for the quick reply and help. I will give it a try.
Peppe

peppe

peppe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Tuxmaster for the registry help. It fixed the problem.