Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP updates

• Please log in to reply

vygo

vygo

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,
Recently I've reinstall Windows XP, now I am getting the icon asking to update it. Should keep it up to date or is it better to skip IT? I've heard some people saying that not all of them is worth updating it. Is it right?

In this case I've been offered to update:

1) Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1.
2) Update for Windows XP (KB898461)

Thanks 4 ur answers in advance!V :whistling:

Advertisements

Erik the Expert

Erik the Expert

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Installer 3.1 is somewhat useful for many programs I recommend getting that. I am still running XP SP1 and love it. SP2 added lots of junk that is unneeded that makes your computer run slower. I also recommend turning off automatic updates since it will just keep bothering you. To remove right click my computer go to properties then automatic updates off. Then right click my computer --> Manage --> Services --> Services --> Automatic Updates --> Double click --> Manual --> Reboot.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
i personally use SP2 as it has alot of security feature which most can be disabled.

as for the updates, it is recommended that you get all updates, for security and stability. but before you go updating everything, it is highly recommended by many of us geeks that a restore point is created. this would just ensure that in the unlikely (using the term loosely) of a mess up, that all can be restored easily!

hope that helps

Glen

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I am just finishing a fresh install of XP on my new hard drive. The first thing I did after the install was to download and install all updates which includes SP2. The only updates not installled were IE7 and WMP 11. My home built PC is old compared to todays standards and it runs quite fast with SP2. I have had no issues with any updates.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Sp 2 and all the updates is required for security on the comp.
It is best you do the updates.