Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing USB port type from 2.0 to 1.1

• Please log in to reply

MarkCircle

MarkCircle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

A good friend of mine recently bought a brand new Dell laptop with Windows Vista. He's reformatted it and installed XP instead as the software we use isn't compatible with Vista as yet.
Anyway, there are 6 USB ports, all of which are USB 2.0.

We're using the laptop for performing live music and use some software called Ableton Live 6, with external MIDI controllers. We used to use my own PC, which has 6 USB 1.1 ports and everything worked like a charm, but we got the laptop for portable ease.

Anyhoo, one of the MIDI controllers (M-audio Trigger Finger) keeps losing it's connectivity. According to the M-audio online support - the problem is this:

"9. Connect the Trigger Finger to an available USB port on your computer.

IMPORTANT: Connect the Trigger Finger directly to your computer! Do not use a USB hub - at least not during installation. There are two types of USB ports, USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 but they look exactly the same. The Trigger Finger is a USB 1.1 device and needs to be connected to a USB 1.1 compatible port. Most USB 2.0 ports can operate in USB 1.1 mode, but sometimes it is necessary to activate this functionality in your computer's BIOS. Besides that, you need to have Windows XP Service Pack 1 (or higher) installed to allow USB 2.0 ports to operate in USB 1.1 mode. If you run into any problems during the installation procedure, try a different USB port on your computer and/or check if the USB port you are connecting to is configured to be able to run in USB 1.1 mode. See your computer's mainboard's documentation for instructions on this."

So, any ideas how to make USB 2.0 ports operate as USB 1.0? Have looked in the BIOS screen but have found nothing. Really need you help guys! Have a gig tommorrow night. Would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

Advertisements

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
i thought this was an automatic thing, i have never experienced it when they haven't operated in both modes.

i watch this thread with great interest!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
boot to bios on the laptop and look for a section about peripheral configuration or something like that....look for the setting "Legacy USB support" and turn that on...that enables USB1.1 support