Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hack max half open tcp connections in XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I recently wanted increase my max half open tcp connections but the patch I am using wont let me. I downloaded the patch on my old comp and it worked perfectly but it wont work on my new one.
Patch link http://www.lvllord.d...n&url=downloads
The error i get is that the following files cannot be renamed: "- \I386\TCPIP.sys"
I have complete admin rights with a admin account no anti virus installed. I even tried to run it in safe mode. I am still gettin this error. I have the lastest version of the patch and installed it like 3-4 times so thats not the prob.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
#1 why are you trying to up the max connections?

#2 can you browse your computer for the I386 folder? you could do a file search for I386 and see if it locates the folder...if it doesn't...then that's why this patch isn't working..because it's looking for a file in a location that it can't find....does the patch give you the option to tell it where to find the tcpip.sys file?

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Reason to increase max half open tcp connections is to increase p2p type programs mainly utorrent. I am trying to increase torrent speeds because at the moment my speeds are ridiculously slow. I found the exact file and I am able to rename it manually but i dont know what to rename it to. Patch does not give option on me to browse and find tcpip.sys file. Can anyone tell me how to fix this prob??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to P2P file sharing programs. While many of these programs are-in-and of themselve legal, most things aquired by their use are not. Instead of attempting to differentiate between the legal use of P2P programs and the illegal use thereof, we have decided to stop helping with issues regarding this software. It is also in your best interest to know that many P2P software packages come bundled with spyware/malware/virii and that their use greatly increases the chances of your computer becoming infected. I strongly suggest that you uninstall these programs and refrain from using them at all costs.

If you have any issues with this policy please PM a Moderator or Admin.