Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

validate windows software

• Please log in to reply

gabriellec430

gabriellec430

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
i got my computer fixed by someone and now my computer keeps saying: you must validate window software validation assure that you are using an authentic and fully liscened copy of windows. genuwine microsoft software. now the computer wont let me update anything and its running really really slow

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Whom did you get your computer fixed by? Was it a friend....or a professional?

Did this person reinstall Windows?

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Sounds like you don't have a genuine copy of Windows XP.

Take it back and get a genuine copy installed and a new repair shop (or friend).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...s/validate.aspx <--go there and let microsoft attempt to validate your copy of windows...what does it tell you?

gabriellec430

gabriellec430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i went to the website and this is what is says:

The Windows product key installed on this computer is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked. A VLK is typically licensed to organizations that want to use multiple copies of Windows. However, if a VLK is reported as stolen or leaked, it is blocked from passing validation and is not considered genuine.

You or your organization may be a victim of software counterfeiting if:

you received a computer with a VLK, but you do not have a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft, or
your organization purchased a VLK from a 3rd party but does not have a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft.

what do i do the guy that did the computer wont answer

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have a reciept for the repair etc? if you do you might be able to get a new license from microsoft that will fix this issue...i'll see if i can get the MS contact info (i can't ever remember it)....looks like you got jipped

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you did the validation did you get to this page http://www.microsoft...fc-68cb352a150c ? if not...this might help...does your computer still have the COA sticker (the sticker with the original license key?) if it does you can use the first link to put that key back onto your windows install....if not...then you'll need to use some of the other links to contact microsoft

gabriellec430

gabriellec430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i had window xp home edition before and the guy put in windows professional. could i use the product key from my home edition

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you find a sticker with the product key on the tower

gabriellec430

gabriellec430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yes

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you get an XP Home CD

Have you got any data you need on the PC

gabriellec430

gabriellec430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
what do you mean should i just try putting that product key in thats on the computer

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Unlikely you will get an XP Home key to run on an XP Pro install

If you have access to an XP Home CD and the sticker on the PC is for Home (hope he didn't change that also) then you can recover from it, a complication is if there is data you need on the PC

gabriellec430

gabriellec430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
how do i know if the one on the computer is for home because i dont have the cd that came with the computer but i have a home edition cd bought that was on the computer at one time

gabriellec430

gabriellec430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
what would happen if i tryed the product key number on my computer and it wasnt the right one