Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change of Domain

• Please log in to reply

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I am dissatisfied with googlepages, and I am looking for either a free domain (subdomain is okay w/ me, like the googlepages I am using now), or a very inexpensive domain of my own (I'm looking for a per year price...)...if it is free, I don't want there to be an online WYSIWYG editor, but rather I can upload all my html files...

If you can help me solve my googlepages problems, then I'oll stay there...
pages take forever to load
I get taken off of google search sporadically and without reason
my entire site gets deleted from time to time, forcing me to upload everything again

sorry for the long list....please help :whistling:

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
You get what you pay for... This is who I use... they have an excellent basic package which consists of:

400 MB Disk Space
5 GB Bandwidth
cPanel Web Admin
Online Website Builder
MS FrontPage Support
Detailed Web/FTP Stats
AntiVirus & Spam Protection

all for under $4/monthly. That's pocket change IMHO.... I can't recommend free services as I stopped using them a long time ago...

It has that online website builder but I have never used it. You still have traditional FTP to transfer your files to your domain.

I should note I have been using this provider for 3 years now and have NEVER had a major downtime instance (one time maybe for about 30 minutes... thats it).. they are VERY reliable...

Edited by thenotch, 20 April 2007 - 03:01 PM.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
what's the 411 on godaddy.com? they look like they have some pretty good deals...

Edited by interpolarity, 20 April 2007 - 06:46 PM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Go Daddy is horrible. I use them for a registrar, but Ive moved a number of people off their hosting and had a horrible time at every step. They are slow to respond to requests and make it very difficult to leave.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
so, then what is a good server/host (whatever its called :whistling: ) ? I need something inexpensive (of course), FTP abilities, a moderate amount of space and bandwidth, with the option to upgrade, and that's about it...

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Freeservers.com is a good one. You can get your site hosted for free (ad supported) or get lots of features and no ads for $3.95/mo. or a super ridiculous amount of features for $7.95/mo.

Edited by stettybet0, 26 April 2007 - 01:38 PM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
The owner of this website also does webhosting. I have at least 5 sites hosted here. The prices are great and the service is excellent.

http://www.gtghosting.com

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
well, welcome me to the family....I'm going to host my site here...as soon as I can get my dad's credit card :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You might like http://www.xoompages.com/
  • Free!
  • 5,000 MB disk space (5 GB)
  • 10,000 MB transfer (10 GB Bandwidth)
  • 20 MB file size limit (compare to 500kb by most other hosts!)
  • FREE Counters!
  • Easy to use Pagebuilder/HTML editor
  • http://username.XoomPages.com!
  • FTP or browser-based file manager
  • Collapsible, clean text ads - No ugly pop ups!

Don't like it? Want more? Check out this site: http://www.free-webhosts.com/

That's how i found it in the first place, back when I was searching. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 30 April 2007 - 10:00 AM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
No ad, real service with cpanel access and full database features for $5 per month.

Or, host a website at a place that dinks with your code, displays ads over top of your website, offers no privacy policy, and offers no support or features.

Difficult call.