Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Too many recipients in Outlook

• Please log in to reply

hackergal

hackergal

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi all - I have created email recipient lists in Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 as I often send a lot of mail to a lot of people. As the list grew, I started getting a "undeliverabel, too many recipients" message, so no problem, I created a new list every 7 recipients, so I now have :

Mailing list 1
Mailng list 2

etc. - you get the idea. So, I now send to undiscolsed recipients and then bcc all the mailing lists. I have limited them to 7 people and I am still getting an undeliverable from the newest list (currently 3 users) as well as the 2nd last list. I was not aware that the groups were limited - how do we get all that spam - I am sure their lists are not limited!!

Any help here would be great!

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Are you sending it all blind cc? Some isp's will block if you don't have at least one recipient showing.

hackergal

hackergal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for the reqply - no I sent a mail to myself (the undisclosed recipient) and then I send all the other 50 or so in groups of 7 - I created mailing lists for every 7 recipients.

so it the To: I have my own email address but named undisclosed recipient and the cc or blind cc is all these groups.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
When you are send E-mails not matter how big or how small your mailing lists. The E-mail server will only mail to so many different addresses. For instance hotmail will only mail to 50 recipients at a time. It doesn't matter where the addresses are entered. Whether its the main recipient or CC or BCC, it will only allow a max number of 50.

I'm not sure on the limit for Outlook(I'll find out), but I'm guessing that your trying to send more than the max limit allowed. Like I said it doesn't matter where the addresses are. It only allows a certain number to be sent at one time.

To send to more recipients try sending a draft to yourself. Then remailing it to the others on your list.
Hope this was helpful. I'll post the max number allowed as soon as I find out.

The Lightninghawk

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I have more than 100 on my group user's list for work that go to outside agencies. I guess my server is generous. :tazz:

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hmm... This is all I can find for the moment. Didn't take time to read all of it though so I'm not 100% sure what all it says, but I have to go for about an hour so I figured I'd go ahead and send you the link.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=831398

hackergal

hackergal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks everyone - I see this link http://support.micro....com/kb/262145/ is down but MS says they are aware of it and working on it. It seems this is the place where one can change the max names in the list.

Once again! You guys have been a great help.