Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovery console

• Please log in to reply

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Just curious if any of you place a copy of this on your HD? Do you recommend doing it? I am the only that uses my computer so I don't have an admin account on it. In order to place RC on my system do I have to create an admin console or can I do it as my regular logon user? Please let me know. Much appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't have RC on my hard drive because i've got a bootable RC disk that i can use to get into recovery console without a windows disk (technically i've got two versions...one that's just RC and one on the new version of the UBCD for windows) but it can come in handy when you don't have a windows disk close by....

you may think you don't have an administrator account...but you do...all windows machines have an administrator account....when the PC was set up...there was a part of the setup that asked for the admin password...if you're on XP pro...that was mandatory (hopefully you or someone else knows that password) in XP home the password is optional...either way...there is in fact an admin account...i'm not sure if you need to be logged in to THE admin or just AN admin to install the RC to your HD as i've never done it

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
How different is this than the regular UBCD?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the newest version of the UBCD4WIN has ALOT of nifty stuff in it...alot of great tools...the new loader also contains DBAN, RC, and memtest...so you can run all those from one disk intead of having a bunch of them...i haven't monkeyed with the regular UBCD...but i know they're both build with bart's PE...so they're pretty similar...i think the main difference is that the UBCD4WIN has ALOT more tools included in the default build