Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

power...

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
alright so heres what happened, i was on my desktop and talking on aim with 1 iexplorer up(minimized) and i get this message saying (nvidia warning) powervideo card not recieving enough power clocking down to prevent hardware damage. i click ok then was about to shut down. the message starts appearing 1 million times, i could hardly keep up with it. as soon as i got a chance i hit shut down (im on xp pro with uptodate OS and drivers). im thinging my psu is going out (630w) any opinions before i return it? im on the computer now, i turned it back on and havent recieved the message
yes power plug is in

Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 6600GT AGP GV-N66T128D

Edited by AnthonyJ, 20 April 2007 - 03:21 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

If you look inside your computer case, you should see a molex power connector on the actual video card (like the ones you get on optical drives & IDE hard drives). Is there power plugged in to this connector?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

alright so heres what happened, i was on my desktop and talking on aim with 1 iexplorer up(minimized) and i get this message saying (nvidia warning) powervideo card not recieving enough power clocking down to prevent hardware damage. i click ok then was about to shut down. the message starts appearing 1 million times, i could hardly keep up with it. as soon as i got a chance i hit shut down (im on xp pro with uptodate OS and drivers). im thinging my psu is going out (630w) any opinions before i return it? im on the computer now, i turned it back on and havent recieved the message
yes power plug is in

Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 6600GT AGP GV-N66T128D

Hi there

If you look inside your computer case, you should see a molex power connector on the actual video card (like the ones you get on optical drives & IDE hard drives). Is there power plugged in to this connector?

not to be smart but i did unclearly mention that :whistling:, this is a homebuilt comp so i made sure everything was right

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i just got the message again,
gpu: 300mhz (initial: 300)
memory gpu: 598mhz (initial: 1000mhz)

i had the million messages again so this time i used the task manager and ended the explorer causnig the messages to stop poping up. then canceled all of them (task manager reported over 400 processes)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, it seems that this is quite a common problem with these cards. The main thing I have discovered is that upgrading your PSU is probably not going to help. 630W should be more than enough. That said, it's not so much the max power output of the PSU that matters, but rather the current rating of each of the power rails. (You really want at least 20A on the 12V rail).
If your PSU is a generic budget one, then changing it 'may' help. If it's a decent brand one then changing it almost certainly wont make any difference to your problem.

One thing you could check though is whether the power lead that connects to your video card is being shared by any other devices. If possible, use a lead that isn't being shared.

Apart from that, other people have reported to have resolved this issue by :
* Updating the computer bios
* Updating the video card driver but running a driver cleanup utility before installing the latest driver
* Running a registry cleanup utility
* changing some of the AGP and/or power management related settings in the bios

Nvidia also provide a registry patch that will prevent the pop ups. Be aware of course that this patch only stops the pop ups, it won't fix the actual problem. The link to the patch is below. Click on link, scroll to bottom of page & download the file called nvsentinal.reg

http://nvidia.custhe...amp;p_topview=1

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
on the side it says at 630w the 12v+ has 26a

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What's the manufacturer's name?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i am apparent of a few things now, 1 i over paid :whistling: i paid 60 at local shop
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817165004
it has 4 molex connectors so ignore the reviews. ill try and trade it in for this 530w they have, i believe it was name brand.
this is Linkworld ? wth did that come from lol

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Never heard of that brand. Also only 4 molex connectors means using splitters if you have more than 4 devices that use molex.

The trade in sounds like a good idea, especially if the brand is something Enermax, Antec, Thermaltake, Cooler Master etc. There are plenty other good brands as well. If in doubt, let us know what the brand name is before trading in

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
well i think it was an upgrade. its a 575w its a WT575i which i cant seem to find online except in some builds. as for my voltages, pc wizard 2007 reports 12v at 12.07v, last one was reported at 11.8v. this has 6-molex connectors, 2 sata connectors, 2 pci express conectors, 1 mainboard+4pin, 1 P4 4 pin, dual uv reactive 80mm fans.
this one seems to be alot better