Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Domain Local and local Group

• Please log in to reply

slyaii

slyaii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks, i'll try that tomorrow. gotta go. thanks a lot. i'll let u knw. i was place into an IT admin position because the original one got fired. it's all up to me now.

Advertisements

slyaii

slyaii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
does the psgetsid need to be installed on a server that has Domain Controller or can it be any server?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
might need to be the domain controller...i've had mixed success with the tool in this regard...and it may be that i wasn't running it from the DC

slyaii

slyaii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
go here and download pstools to your server....then extract the psgetsid file to c:\windows\system32

then open a command prompt on the server and type
psgetsid <sid number>

<Sid number> is that number you see in the permissions list

i downloaded the file, and unzipped it, i copy the one file of "psgetsid". went to my DC and C:\WINNT\system32 and installed the one file there.

inside the DC server and cmd prompt,

say my sid is s-1-5-21

do i type psgetsid s-1-5-21

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...type the full SID number

slyaii

slyaii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i typed in

psgetsid the whole number with dashes, and the cmd screen with black went active to nothing in a flash of an eye...did it work? and where can i see the result?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
where did you type it? in a cmd window or in the run comand box?

slyaii

slyaii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i did it in the run command box...which i know is wrong now. knowing is half the battle...

i typed in cmd and pressed enter, got this screen...

c:\winnt\profiles\administrator> then type this after the >

psgetsid and my whole sid with dashes

result:

Error Querying account:
No mapping between account names and security IDs was done

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that (in my experience so far) means the user might be gone....or it's just not finding the mapping (which would explain why the SID shows instead of the username)...unfortunately...we've gone into an area where i have no sollutions

slyaii

slyaii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thaks for the info on it...hey. i tried this:

psgetsid \\computer name (server) and it returns something, let's say it's s-1-54-254-45

well, i type in

psgetsid s-1-54-254-45 and it's giving me that same error

Advertisements

slyaii

slyaii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
dse,

any thoughts on that issue? I want to just delete the ?1-s-1244- (an example), but I don't really know if it's a disabled user or not...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...i personally suggest leaving it unless you can track down the SID....if it's a disabled or deleted user then the likely hood of the permissions being exploited are slim....if you really want to delete that user from the permissions...then make 100% certain that your domain admin account has full permissions on that folder....if that SID matches the domain account (by the numbers i don't think it does) and you delete it...then you've just locked the admin out of that folder...which is not a good thing