Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Boot Error

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Some eMachines recovery disks have recovery console on them...some don't.

Try booting to the cd. If it tries to start a recovery operation rather than showing you screens similar to the first four shown HERE, abort and we'll look at another option. (Do not follow this guide...it's for a different procedure. Just compare the first four screens)

wannabe1

Advertisements

csmartin13

csmartin13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks...I do not have the XP CD's, sothinking I cannot do this step. I can get CD's to read, but does not go into the menu's indicated.. I can get to the recovery console, but the only option is to eliminate all files and start over. Not the option I was hoping for....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have floppy drives on both machines?

bigman1986

bigman1986

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
IF YOU CAN GET AN XP CD TRY THIS USE THE SYSTEM RECOVERY. IN THE CMD WINDOW TRY TYPING FIXBOOT AND/OR FIXMBR AND YOU CAN ALSO TRY CHKDSK/F IT WILL CHECK THE DISK AND FISK ANYTHING THAT IS CORRUPT TRY THEM AND SEE. HOPE THIS HELPS!

Edited by bigman1986, 21 April 2007 - 02:31 AM.

csmartin13

csmartin13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Keith, I have CD drives on both this laptop and the other machine. Both run XP.