Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best way to upgrade old rig

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yup, Celerons are lower bin Pentiums, what I mean by this, it's a failed Pentium that couldn't make it to spec.
http://www.zipzoomfl...goryCode=110513
Look at the prices your facing. I'm an idiot for not saying this earlier.
Now look here in the 55-100$ range.
http://www.tigerdire...a...99&CatId=14
Just get a more recent motherboard/CPU
It's alot more cost effective not to mention the MUCH better price/performance you'll see.
James

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Yup, Celerons are lower bin Pentiums, what I mean by this, it's a failed Pentium that couldn't make it to spec.

That's untrue. Celerons are purposefully made to cater to the low-end computer market.

A new PC isn't an option. If I was to get a new, cheap PC, I would wait until the Celeron D 400 series comes out, which will be Celeron versions of Core Duos priced as low as $39.

Moving on, I discovered that my Compaq actually uses PC-133 SDRAM, not PC-100 SDRAM. Yay! New Ram only $1 more expensive.

Edited by stettybet0, 21 April 2007 - 04:02 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm pretter sure many of the pentiums that didn't meet spec did infact get placed into the celeron section, it is for this reason they are aimed at the budget end. Just things that were deffective were disabled along with other features, but then again I could be wrong. Now lets forget about this and get back on topic.

Why isn't that an option? It makes no sense to upgrade this considering your have cheaper alternatives that perform better. That celeron D makes even more sense, a dual core for 40$.....lol

James

Edit: Is this a laptop or something, is that the reason why you can't upgrade?

Edited by james_8970, 21 April 2007 - 04:17 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The Celeron D 400s are actually single cored, as they are based on Core Duos, not Core 2 Duos. But still, a great price.

The reason a new PC isn't an option is that $150 is my absolute max to spend. I doubt, even re-using hard drives and graphics card, that I could get a PC for that cheap.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Wrong,
http://www.tigerdire...e...68&CatId=14
http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1554

83$+19$=102$ :whistling:
Once you add shipping and tax it'll probably be around the 140$ mark.
James

Edit: Also it's based on the same microarictecture as Conroe(Core2duo), Merom (Coreduo), and woodcreast (Dual-Core Xeon).

Edited by james_8970, 21 April 2007 - 08:45 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
microATX mobo... would that fit in my ATX case?

And I'm not sure what PSU I have, but you can be sure it's old and weak. I might check tomorrow to see the exact wattage, but I doubt it could power that.

So add in new case + PSU and it will be over $150... (and I'm not buying any cheap Powmax trash... I like my house not burned down, thx)

Edit: As far as I know, the Celeron D 400s are only based on Conroe... which makes it all the more confusing as to why they are single-core.

Intel's roadmap lists a series of upcoming Celerons, based on the Intel Core microarchitecture. They will use the 65 nm Conroe-L core, and will use a 400 model number sequence. They will not have Intel VT-x instruction support. They will be single-core processors for the value segment of the market, much like the AMD K8-based Sempron. The initial models are expected to launch on June 3, 2007.

Edited by stettybet0, 21 April 2007 - 08:38 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol I agree with you no crappy PSU's, didn't bring the PSU into account, it would never have enough Watts, I'm thinking in the area of 250W. Now why I thought you had microATX is beyond me.....
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Since you won't see my edit....
http://en.wikipedia....croarchitecture

Read this.....

The first processors that used this architecture were code-named Merom, Conroe, and Woodcrest; Merom is for mobile computing, Conroe is for desktop systems, and Woodcrest is for servers and workstations. While architecturally identical, the three product lines differ in the socket used, bus speed, and power consumption. Core-based products are not branded Pentium; Woodcrest-based products form the Xeon 5100 series, while Conroe and Merom-based processors are labeled as Core 2.

I learnt something there because I never knew Conroe was based on the same microarchitecture as Woodcrest, why thats the case is beyond me, but like you said, all three of those are dual core processors. Which like you, confuses me and causes me to wonder why the [bleep] these are single core processors.

James

Edited by james_8970, 21 April 2007 - 08:42 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
its most likely to keep the price low enough to be extremely competitive. Though, with multi-core processing becoming the norm, I don't know if this strategy will work, as more and more people look to switch to dual-core.

As to the main issue:

I've decided I might buy 512mb of RAM, since I found it easily from newegg. However, one of the reasons my budget was so low was... I'm building a new gaming rig! :whistling: New topic for that though, posted shortly. Thx for your help, and hope to see you on the new topic.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
yeah will see ya there forsure, I plan on building my new gaming rig in June which will be very interesting, I hoping I can get a quad core, but I need to get a few more shifts in per week for that at the moment. I would continue looking around for the processor, but honestly even if we do manage to find it, it's going to be 150$ for nothing, money will be much better spent towards your next gaming rig.
James

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

We've already ascertained the fastest processor that my mobo can support.

There IS such thing as a Celeron built on Coppermine PIII technology. A Celeron is simply a Pentium with features disabled, lower clock speeds, lower FSB speeds, and less cache. And they're not just for socket 370 and socket 478. Celerons based on PII technology used slot 1 and Celerons based on P4 technology also use socket 775.

There is one more very important feature of the celeron, the use some of the pins to program the clock and fsb speed on some motherboards, some boards like the Cognac board, millions of them were made, will only use the celeron processor at 66mhz fsb speed. You can't use a PIII in it, if you try to use a celeron with a higher fsb it will run slower.

Also, HP/Compaq have two websites for their products, the home user site and the commercial site, they don't list all the same stuff. Also, not known by many is that most hardware makers have large FTP sites which can provide a lot of information not found at their HTTP sites.