Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive Keeps dissapearing :(

• Please log in to reply

BrandonKeith

BrandonKeith

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I've got a box I built to hold all of my media on.. No big deal.. So, I upgrade my smallest drive from a WD1600 Caviar SE to a WD2500 Caviar SE. Basically from a 160 to a 250 EIDE. So, this drives designation is the F drive.. After my comp has been on for a while, * not sure how long since I don't really ever turn it off* , the drive will dissappear from MyComputer. But, it will still show up on the network as being connected, but not accessable.

If I restart, it comes back, but not if I log out and log back in. It did this with in 24 hrs of installation, and I'm not sure how long the second time it happend was. Any help or suggestions would be awesome since this is now the third time. I've never had this problem in the past what so ever from the time I built it about 2 yrs ago to this incident now. Only problems I've ever had was with buying cheap power supplies..lol :whistling: Never again...lol

Specs.

Socket 478 P4 2.8
ASRock Mobo
2 sticks Kingston 256 w/Shields
1 stick Corsair ValueSelect 512
1 WD1800CaviarSE
1 WD2500CaviarSE
1 Maxtor Diamondback 200

Xp Pro SP2 w/Current Updates
Spyware/Adware/Hack Free. Clean Comp.

Advertisements

BrandonKeith

BrandonKeith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Anybody?

BrandonKeith

BrandonKeith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Come on guys, any help? Is there seriously no one out there that has any idea at all?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How long is your lease set up for and how long does your router take to dish out IP addresses (assuming DHCP)?
My reckoning is, the lease on the IP address expires in Windows, it goes to get a new one and has to wait for it. In the meantime, because its not connected to a network, it can't be sure if Drive F is available, therefore flags it up as unavailable. By then an IP address has come, but Windows won't look for Drive F again on its own.