Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ntldr is missing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
ok, this computer is giving me problem after problem after problem

after this stupid blue screen keep coming on... i've decided it was time for a reboot...

so, i try to reboot using xp cd... and voila

"ntldr is missing"

press ctrl alt del to restart

windows = crap?? cant they create a OS that works properly, im startin to think about moving to Linux....

anyways... how do reboot my computer at this stage?

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Your boot order in setup may not be set to boot from your cd-rom drive. I think I would forget about that for now and concentrate on the blue screen. What does it say? What brand computer? What operating system?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
take all discs out of all drives and reboot. Do you get the 'ntldr is missing' message?

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
well the blue screen has only started happening since i repaired windows, i've backed up what i need to backup, so i thought a fresh install would probably make this error go away, as its only happened since i repaired...

so drivers are obviously conflicing somewhere or something... another blue screen i got was IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS

when i tried to print something :S

or if i paste a large sized image into photoshop or paint...

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

take all discs out of all drives and reboot. Do you get the 'ntldr is missing' message?

it boots up fine... i can use windows... im on it now...

its only when i try to boot up from the xp disc or if i create a boot disc on a disc...

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Did you go into setup (bios) and check to see if your booting from the cd-rom drive first?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's a copy and paste from the following link:

"If you are attempting to install Windows XP or Windows 2000 and are receiving this error message as the computer is booting verify that your computer BIOS has the proper boot settings. For example, if you are attempting to run the install from the CD-ROM make sure the CD-ROM is the first boot device, and not the hard disk drive.

Second, when the computer is booting you should receive the below prompt.

Press any key to boot from the CD

Important: When you see this message press any key such as the Enter key immediately, otherwise it will try booting from the hard drive and likely get the NTLDR error again."

http://www.computerh...es/ch000465.htm

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
ok... i reset my computer...

as soon as it starts to load...

i can press f11 to go to boot menu

so i do...

them i choose my disc drive...

then i get the error...

i think i have an error with my bios cuz when i go to bios settings, nothing is there, just user password management thing

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts

i think i have an error with my bios cuz when i go to bios settings, nothing is there, just user password management thing

does this mean that 98% of what should be in the bios is missing? And all you have is this 'password management thing'?

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

does this mean that 98% of what should be in the bios is missing? And all you have is this 'password management thing'?

yea... one day it all dissapeared...

i tried running bios update.. but i got the ntldr missing error when tryin to update bios too...

my comp seriously messed up :whistling:

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
what brand computer is this and what key do you use to get into the bios?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
On that bios update...did you try it from a floppy drive and imediately received the 'ntldr is missing' message. In other words, the bios update never really started.

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
i dont have a floppy drive, so i tried to use a cdr...

my motherboard is an asrock p4s61

american megatrends or somethin

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
My guess on the bios is that either....you think you're in the bios and your not...or you don't realize how to move around in the bios. Because....I don't know how 98% of the bios could be missing and your still able to boot up.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
It looks like you have an AMI bios. When you first boot the pc, press the 'del' key and you should be able to get into the bios. From there look for Boot Order or something similar and make sure your booting from the cd-rom drive first. Then try your XP disc....