Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using port tuneling/Proxy Set-up

• Please log in to reply

hydrolist

hydrolist

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi there,

I'm going to get straight to the point with this one, since i've been trying to fiture it out for some time.

I have machine A - which is heavily firewalled since most ports are blocked except 80 (and some other ones that allow me to use the internet and say msn/skype). I do not have admin privilages on machine A which would allow me to unlock ports needed for my app. However, I have another computer, machine B at another location which I have full access to.

What I would like to know is how I could set up some sort of proxy (or something, not sure on details of the process here) that I would allow me to use an app on machine A (an app which uses a blocked port, say 7777) somehow through machine B through port 80 of machine A - again not sure of specifics.

Any answers would greatly help me out! thanks!

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
How about just putting app on machine b? Without admin privies to Machine A, and it being locked to port 80 for a web server, you will prob have little/no luck in getting what you want on Machine A. Even if you can get access to the router to let traffic be triggered, the Machine A still won't accept unless it gets re-configured to accept traffic on port 7777 (or whatever it was).

hydrolist

hydrolist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I wont be able to do that.

cant I tunnel out to machine B somehow? Or set up an outside proxy?

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I think I may be greatly misunderstanding what you are trying to do here... Either that, or you don't understand the functionality of a "proxy server". Either way, w/out admin privies on Machine A, allowing a connection to port 7777 is nearly impossible. Not to mention that you would almost definetly have to have access to the router/firewall in order to change any policies or what not that are already in place w/securities...

hydrolist

hydrolist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok done a lot of research.

tried checking out http-tunnel and other similar things. I have set up a udp/tcp tunnel to a server outside the network (firewall) and foward my app via http port 80 using sockscap.

Everything is working fine, and I have managed to launch game/apps and other software - bypassing the firewall I have restricted upon me.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Sounds like a nice utility, I had never heard of that one. I'll have to check it out. I'm glad you found something that worked.