Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with logging into email/general accounts

• Please log in to reply

Twest1993

Twest1993

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Everytime I try to log into any email or subscriber account, I get the following message:

- Cannot Find Server - The web site you typed in could not be found on the internet.

Please try the following:

If you have a network firewall installed, please make sure your firewall is not preventing Avant Browser from accessing Internet.

Please make sure your computer is connected to internet.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Continue your web browsing by searching the web below:

In addition, I can't download updates for my spyware and virus programs.

Both issues started after I cleaned up some malware following the procedure on this board. I assume a security setting is blocking my ability to logon to my accounts, but I can't figure it out. I removed the new spyware programs to see if this helped the issue, but I am still having the problem. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Twest1993, 21 April 2007 - 02:34 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Uninstall Avant Browser. What firewall are you using. Go to internet explorer > tools > internet options. Set Security, Privacy and Advanced to default values.

Twest1993

Twest1993

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I uninstalled Avant, and now I can't access the internet. I am using the standard windows firewall.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1:In Control panel try to disable the firewall temporarilly and see if it makes any difference.

2: If you have xp installation disk or if you can borrow one for few minutes go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Add/ Remove windows componentes. Uncheck Internet Explorere > Next. Allow windows to remove Internet Explorer. Now repaet the process with xp disk inside the driver, check Internet Explorere and let windows re-install it.

3: If you don't have xp disk download Firefox in another computer, Burn to a cd or save on a flash disk and install in your computer.

Twest1993

Twest1993

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an xp disk here at work. I will go home and follow the instructions and post the results. Thanks.

Twest1993

Twest1993

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am up and running with Internet explorer. I am still unable to log onto my email or any accounts that ask for a login or password (except for this site).

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your problem could be malware related. I am aware of the fact that you took the priliminary steps in the malware forum but it seems that it wasn't enough

please post your topic in the malware forum (a link in my signature). After the expetrts from the malware forum confirm that the computer is clean, and if the problem persists, post back in this forum. It might take some time because they are quite busy there.