Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop choice

• Please log in to reply

imok42day

imok42day

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have posted this question with less details in other forums, but I thought I would give more info and ask you. I don't know if I should fix what I have or buy new.

Even if I purchase a new laptop, I will have XP put on it ( I have someone local who can change it out from Vista).

The laptop I have currently is a Dell 5160. It has a P4 3.2 Ghz processor. I have 512Mb memory in 2 slots so I guess I have a gig. I do have wireless and a CD player. And a 30Gb hard drive. I can replace the cracked motherboard with a Dell refurbished one for less than $250. I don't know what it will cost in labor.

Part of me wants a NEW laptop, but I want to be practical. I would rather spend $1100 on a new E1505, with an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB), and a 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM memory, than waste my money on something that really isn't good. And I know so little that I just need a little help. Thanks.

DDE

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I have dealt with Dell and nonfunctioning motherboards in canada. In my case I was told that by the time everything is shipped, motherboard replaced and labor paid for, your looking at 500$, the motherboard cost 250$ as well. I almost died when I was told this over the phone, I was doing the call for a business who weren't thrilled with what they had to say either. Once the motherboard is gone in a laptop it's time to move on, it makes no sense to replace it when you could put that money towards a new laptop, [bleep] that'd pay for 50% of a pretty good laptop.
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 April 2007 - 08:30 PM.