Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP can't find printer

• Please log in to reply

jktj

jktj

• Pip
  • 3 posts
HP A610E w/XP Home Ed w/SP1 bought directly from HP crashed recently (out of warranty). The 10 HP recovery CDs (sent originally w/A610E) were not correct recovery discs for A610E. Contacted HP, they agreed, sending by overnight express new set consisting of 7 recovery discs. To do a XP recovery, all peripherals have to be disconnected. Had earlier installed two Epson ink jet printers using original Epson CDs (Stylus Color 440 @Lpt1, Stylus CX3810 @USB port). Both worked OK - before PC crashed. Did XP recovery with new 7 discs, everything seem to go OK, A610E (PC)with recovered XP installed. But when tried to re-install the 2 printers, the PC would not would not accept the original 440's install disc. Went to MS Wizard, found Epson 440 ESC/P2 which PC did install. Question - why would recovered XP not accept the original 440's software install disc like it did before the crash.
Next - the Epson Stylus CX3810 problem - the original drivers CD disc appeared to install but one of 3 things would happen. When selected "Print test page" the whole PC hung up or PC "Can't find the CX3810" and PC hung or error message "Epson Status Monitor 3 not respondng" and PC hung.
Repeated phone calls to HP Support have resulted in "zilch". Epson support thought my original CX3810 was defective and sent me a replacement telling me to junk my original. The new CX3810 does the same with the PC as my original. Funny thing tho', both CX3810s install and work correctly on my older Gateway 733 running WIN98SE !!!
Any ideas - any help ???

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
- First I would try and delete the printer and download from the manufaturer site the newest driver for the printer.
Then reboot and install the driver then connect the printer. If the computer doesn't recognize the printer model it could b the usb cable.

or error message "Epson Status Monitor 3 not respondng" and PC hung.

- Go to this link and download Epson Status Monitor 3 if this error returnes

BTW r u useing the same usb cable on both computers?

jktj

jktj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Tried 3 different USB cables on both the HP w/XP and Gateway w/WIN98SE. Both the old CX3810 and new CX3810 just sent to me by Epson work great on Gateway with all 3 tried USB cables, not one of CX3810s are found by XP PC with any of the tried 3 USB cables.
Many times I have deleted the CX3810 from from the "Printer & Faxes" window and the Epson Scan/drivers software from the "Add/Remove Programs" window when various downloaded driver updates recommended by Epson were tried. Same result, drivers seemed to install - but again the 3 same "error" messages as in my original entered Topic.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
I have 2 ideas
- this you probubly checked the usb ports that they work.
-check the bios and look at the deffinitions of you're usb ports and look if they have any deffinitions for printers. allso check if the board is set 2 plug and play.
To enter bios - reset computer and as soon as it starts when u c either HP on the monitor or detail about mother board tap the del button every one second. When inside move around with arrows to enter selected hit - enter. To go back hit esc. When finish hit F10 to save changes.

BTW In what way did the comuter crash?

jktj

jktj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Don't know why it crashed. Following HP procedure for XP recovery, disconnected all peripherals, at pwr ON, could not even get to "Safe Mode" much less start Disc 1 of recovery CDs. Finally remembered I has also installed a LPT2 card so I removed it. Now got to "Safe Mode", ran all 7 recovery CDs and XP seems to be re-installed and running
OK. Don't know what the LPT2 card was causing but won't use it again. BUT when reconnected old Epson Stylus Color 440 to LPT1, the re-installed XP would not install the 440 driver from the original 440's CD. It did re-install the 440 using XP's internal 440 ESC/P2 driver. Then would not re-install the Epson CX3810 (USB port) original driver CD like it did before the crash. Both printers' original driver CDs install and work fine on an old Gateway 733 with WIN98SE I have. HP seems to think I should wipe the whole C: drive clean and do a full "manufacturer's menu" XP recovery. Beats me!

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
There is something that is not working or missing in the windows system. The win repair did not fix the part that was not working. You said that the lpt2 card is what caused the problem so it makes some seince that there are problems with things that use the lpt like printers even the ones that dont use the lpt but do use the protocalls.
Here is a link to Registry Mechanic run this program . It may solve the problem (or not) it is free to download and c what is not wrught but to fix the problems cost money.

The other option would b to format the computer and reinstall c - the system. If u do so dont forget to save the data on c.

If both computers r connected by network you can connect it to the old one that works and share the printer so that as long as the computer is on you can send documents to print.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Tune Up will fix anything it finds as a trial

Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor