Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive not c:

• Please log in to reply

JoyLyn

JoyLyn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My father rebuilt my computer. It now has two hard drives, which were both reformated yesterday. XP was installed on the newer one.

The problem is that the older one was given the letter c: and the newer one is e:

I didn't want the older one to be c:, since it's going to be mainly for backup files, so Dad changed it to z:. But when he tried to change e: to c: it wouldn't let him, because it's the system drive.

So I shrugged and said no big deal. But now some of my software won't install because I don't have a valid c: drive, even though I told it to install on e:

I'm guessing I'll have other problems from the same thing down the road. How do I fix this? Do I need to reinstall Windows, and if so, how? And how do I prevent the same thing from happening again?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to reinstall Windows I'm afraid.
Unplug the drive you don't want to become drive C, and Windows will use the other one as Drive C through lack of choice. When done, plug the other drive in, it'll probably come up as Drive D, E or F pending on the CD units you've got.