Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

re-install of XP

• Please log in to reply

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hey guys,

I want to do a re-install of my XP as it's getting a bit slow on startup and is over 3 years since I last installed. I want to keep all my e-mails and everything and I use outlook 2003 - where do I go to copy out the file so I can copy it back in after I have re-installed, like I used to do with Outlook Express ?

Also, my copy of XP was bought before SP1 and SP2 were released. If I reinstall, will I still be able to access windows updates to get all the updates re-installed so my computer is up to date ?

Cheers

H_M

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It's actually easier with an Outlook than Outlook Express. Open Outlook, go to "File->Import and Export", Export to a file. This will be a 'PST' file. Export it to a flash drive or a another partition if available. When you've re-installed Outlook, again go to "Import and Export"->"Import from another program or file". Now navigate to where your exported PST file is located and import it. In case you're wondering, when you export the PST file it contains all your folders, all your messages for those folders, and all your contacts. All rolled up into a single file. As I said, easier than Outlook Express I think you'll agree.

You will still be able to re-install the latest service pack (SP2) and any other updates released since then. I suggest you try and get hold of the SP2 CD that Microsoft released as that's much easier and quicker than trying to download it unless you have a minimum 2Gbit connection. You don't need SP1 as SP2 superceded and replaced it.

Edited by pip22, 22 April 2007 - 11:34 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

You will still be able to re-install the latest service pack (SP2) and any other updates released since then. I suggest you try and get hold of the SP2 CD that Microsoft released as that's much easier and quicker than trying to download it unless you have a minimum 2Gbit connection. You don't need SP1 as SP2 superceded and replaced it.

You mean a 2Meg connection. 2Gb is a long way off yet. :whistling:

One can download from Microsoft on any broadband speed - SP2 can be downloaded on a 2Meg connection in about twenty minutes. On standard 512k, expect about an hour and a half. On dial-up - forget it.

What the original poster might want to do is download/order SP2 and then do what's called a slipstream on it, to integrate SP2 so next time you use the CD to repair/clean install, you'll have the benefits of SP2 already there.
See http://www.winsupers..._slipstream.asp for how to do this.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I wonder why reformat the computer. If it's only "a bit slow on startup" it might be much easier to fix it by other means.

Regarding slipstreaming sp2 into xp-sp1: I must admit that I tried this a number of times and never succeeded. It's a long, complex, and in my opinion dubious process which I would never recommend to the average user. I had rather wait the time necessary for downloading sp2 and the other updates then try this process.

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks guys.

I want to reformat because over the years I have installed and uninstalled various programs and I think that there are still files leftover and whatnot from before and this seems the easiest way to get rid of them all. Have all disks for any programs that I need to re-install so that's a problem.

I'v no problem in downloading the updates as I have an 8mb connection.