Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yahoo messenger - how did they know?

• Please log in to reply

bxrjen

bxrjen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been using Yahoo Messenger for years at my current job. Today when I tried to sign on, it wouldn't connect. I went into the preferences file and changed the settings from "no proxies" to "firewall with no proxies" and it started working again. Then while I'm at lunch the IT support people come and uninstall it since its "not authorized". But I've been using it for so long with no problems. How did they find out? Was it because I changed the settings? Can I reinstall it without anyone knowing? Please help! Thanks

Advertisements

freek

freek

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
It may have been with their firewall, seeing outgoing connections from Yahoo. Just a guess. I don't think you'll be able to reinstall it without anyone not knowing, but someone might have a alternate suggestions. Hope I helped :tazz:.