Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow laptop

• Please log in to reply

sannie

sannie

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
I have a DELL Inspiron 6000 and recently, after a harddrive crash, got a replacement harddrive from DELL and reformatted the whole computer.

Now lately, it seems to boot up really slowly [it takes up to 15 minutes to load everything] and the CPU usage seems to be maxed out at all times, even if I don't have any programs running.

I have run AVG and SuperAntispyware already and cleaned up some files, also defragmented , but it's still performing slowly.

Any ideas?

Could NORTON be the problem? I've heard that some people think it's "crap"?!

Advertisements

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
It sounds like something to do with the BIOS of the laptop.

I RECOMMEND removing Norton, it causes nothing but trouble. I suggest using AVG instead as it is a very reliable antivirus.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

It sounds like something to do with the BIOS of the laptop.

I RECOMMEND removing Norton, it causes nothing but trouble. I suggest using AVG instead as it is a very reliable antivirus.

Do you think if I remove NORTON then my problem will be gone? Or what exactly do you mean by "something to do with the BIOS"?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Get rid of Norton.

Also go to: start>run>type msconfig

click on 'startup' and uncheck unecesary programs like QuickTime, Office startup etc. Click OK and reboot.

By chance, your not running two antivirus programs at once are you?

Make sure your 'indexing service' is not running.

go to Start>control panel>system>hardware>device manager
expand 'ide ata/atapi controllers' and double click on 'primary(and secondary) IDE channel' and then 'advanced settings'. For transfer mode make sure DMA if available is selected.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Get rid of Norton.

Also go to: start>run>type msconfig

click on 'startup' and uncheck unecesary programs like QuickTime, Office startup etc. Click OK and reboot.

By chance, your not running two antivirus programs at once are you?

Make sure your 'indexing service' is not running.

expand 'ide ata/atapi controllers' and double click on 'primary(and secondary) IDE channel' and then 'advanced settings'. For transfer mode make sure DMA if available is selected.

thank you macten!

How do I know which programs on startup are unnecessary? There are a few processes where I don't know what it is...

I am only running Norton. I did download AVG and SuperAntispyware to check for malware, though.

What is the indexing service?

Which programs would you recommend to replace Norton?

Thank you!

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I like free Avast:

http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

download Avast first, go to Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel and uninstall all Norton Products. Then install Avast.

What are you using for a firewall?

Right click on My Computer>Manage>
expand 'services and applications' >services
right click on both 'indexing' and 'messenger' services and select properties.
on the 'general' tab, make startup type 'disable' then click 'ok'

In msconfig, keep all Avast, AVG and SuperSpyWare entries. Post the rest of them and I'll try and figure out what you can uncheck.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

I like free Avast:

http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

download Avast first, go to Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel and uninstall all Norton Products. Then install Avast.

What are you using for a firewall?

Right click on My Computer>Manage>
expand 'services and applications' >services
right click on both 'indexing' and 'messenger' services and select properties.
on the 'general' tab, make startup type 'disable' then click 'ok'

In msconfig, keep all Avast, AVG and SuperSpyWare entries. Post the rest of them and I'll try and figure out what you can uncheck.

I'll take care of the Norton and install Avast.
I'll use ZoneAlarm Firewall [someone recommended it to me].

Here's the list of msconfig [with Program]:

ehtray
ZCfgSvc [Intel]
ifrmewrk[Intel]
atiptaxx
ccApp [Symantec]
osCheck [Norton Internet Security]
Apoint
realsched [Real]
OneTouch [Maxtor - External Harddrive]
maxmenumgr
HPWuSchd [Hewlett Packard]
hpztsp08 [Windows/system32]
qttask [Quick Time]
hpotdd01 [Hewlett Packard]
DrgToDsc [Roxio]
avgas [AVG]
ctfmon [Windows/system 32]
MsnMsgr [MSN Messenger]
msmsgs [Messenger]
SUPERAntiSpyware
Adobe Gamma Loader
Adobe Reader Speed Launch
Adobe Reader Synchronizer

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I use ZoneAlarm also along with a router. Never had a problem with ZA in 10 years or so.

I've got to get some sleep but briefly looking at your startup list, I would uncheck the following:

All the Adobe
Symantec
Norton
Quicktime
All messenger's unless you use them.
Roxio
Hewlett Packard
There are a few more that you can probably uncheck but I would want to look them up first. I'll look at it in the morning.

Are you using DMA for your IDE controllers?

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

I use ZoneAlarm also along with a router. Never had a problem with ZA in 10 years or so.

I've got to get some sleep but briefly looking at your startup list, I would uncheck the following:

All the Adobe
Symantec
Norton
Quicktime
All messenger's unless you use them.
Roxio
Hewlett Packard
There are a few more that you can probably uncheck but I would want to look them up first. I'll look at it in the morning.

Are you using DMA for your IDE controllers?

Thank you, thank you. I am heading to bed soon, too :whistling:

I don't know what you mean with DMA for IDE controllers... can you explain?

Good night!

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
do a ctrl+alt+del >task manager>processes

click on cpu....you might have to click a second time on cpu to get the process which is using the most to the top. Post back here which process is using the most cpu...

check your DMA:

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
uncheck realsched....

that atiptaxx is a utility for ATI video cards. If you don't use it, you can uncheck it.

that maxmenumgr is Related to Maxtor backup utility manager. I would uncheck it for now.

(keep in mind...if something doesn't work we can always go back and check it)

That's a pretty good start. Even just one of them can really cause a slow startup. Adobe in particular.

So uncheck everything I mentioned and click ok and reboot.....

Edited by macten, 26 April 2007 - 08:24 AM.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

uncheck realsched....

that atiptaxx is a utility for ATI video cards. If you don't use it, you can uncheck it.

that maxmenumgr is Related to Maxtor backup utility manager. I would uncheck it for now.

(keep in mind...if something doesn't work we can always go back and check it)

That's a pretty good start. Even just one of them can really cause a slow startup. Adobe in particular.

So uncheck everything I mentioned and click ok and reboot.....

Hello macten...

I did everything that you mentioned above.
It still takes about 8-9 minutes until the laptop has fully loaded everything and is ready to be worked with. Is this normal or am I just too impatient? :whistling:

I don't recall that the laptop [even running Norton before the harddrive crash] took that long to respond.

The TaskManager has mostly System IDLE Process listed as the process that takes up the most CPU during Startup... but I thought it will just "represent" the CPU percentage that is not used for other processes and not really "use" the CPU.

Edited by sannie, 26 April 2007 - 12:38 PM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
8-9 min. still seems a bit slow to me. in msconfig uncheck one of the anti-spyware programs. you only want one to start up.

How old is that laptop? Have you ever cleaned it out? (the inside with compressed air)

I've got to get the oil changed on a generator. Looks like a thunderstorm moving in. I'm sure there's more we can do. I'll check back in later...

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

8-9 min. still seems a bit slow to me. in msconfig uncheck one of the anti-spyware programs. you only want one to start up.

How old is that laptop? Have you ever cleaned it out? (the inside with compressed air)

I've got to get the oil changed on a generator. Looks like a thunderstorm moving in. I'm sure there's more we can do. I'll check back in later...

You mean in msconfig keep Avast, zonealarm and one of the spyware programs [AVG or SuperAntispyware], right?

The laptop will be 2 years old at the end of May, and no, I haven't cleaned out the inside. I have no idea how to do that. I do have one of these "spray cleaners" though... that might be compressed air]... I'll look for that. Can you tell me how to do that?

Thanks so much for your patience and your time!

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
>>You mean in msconfig keep Avast, zonealarm and one of the spyware programs [AVG or SuperAntispyware], right?

Yep...keep those.

I don't know if this will help or not but I would clean it out. 2 years...it is do for a cleaning. A P4 will slow down if it starts to overheat. Dust can cause it to overheat. You'll have to click the 'x' to clear the ad:

http://www.informati...icleID=60300177

How much RAM do you have?